Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Food service supervisors, supervise, direct and co-ordinate the activities of workers who prepare, portion and serve food. They are employed by hospitals and other health care establishments and by cafeterias, catering companies and other food service establishments.
cafeteria supervisor, food services, canteen supervisor, catering supervisor, food service supervisor.
- Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of staff who prepare, portion and serve food
- Estimate and order ingredients and supplies required for meal preparation
- Prepare food order summaries for chef according to requests from dieticians, patients in hospitals or other customers
- Establish methods to meet work schedules
- Maintain records of stock, repairs, sales and wastage
- Train staff in job duties, and sanitation and safety procedures
- Supervise and check assembly of regular and special diet trays and delivery of food trolleys to hospital patients
- Ensure that food and service meet quality control standards
- May participate in the selection of food service staff and assist in the development of policies, procedures and budgets
- May plan cafeteria menus and determine related food and labour costs.
Outlook & Prospects for Food Service Supervisors in Edmundston--Woodstock Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Currently the chances of qualified Food Service Supervisors finding employment are considered to be fair in the local area.
Job opportunities in this occupation are mostly found in these industries: 1) health care and social assistance; and 2) accommodation and food services. The main reason employment prospects are considered fair is that there are many job openings for this occupation in the Edmundston-Woodstock region. On the other hand, the salaries are often lower than those of other supervisory positions, and in certain cases, there are only part-time positions. The numerous restaurants in the region compete for labour in this occupation. Recruitment for this occupation is often accomplished internally or through employee turnover as employees move from one food service establishment to another in search of better wages and benefits. The construction of a new shopping centre (including several restaurants and food service establishments) on the Maliseet reserve near Saint-Basile should create 400 jobs in the region, including many positions for workers in this occupation.
Employment opportunities for Food Service Supervisors may vary in different communities across the province. You may want to check for specific opportunities in your community. Also, people who are able to work elsewhere may want to research the opportunities for this occupation in other areas of NB or in other provinces across the country.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Jun 03 – Jun 07, 2013
- After having acquired the former Le Bel-Air restaurant, Edmundston entrepreneurs Normand Levesque and Keta Ringuette have now acquired the former La Praga Hotel and Restaurant. The couple plans to open by the end of the year a restaurant and bar at the Le Bel-Air building and a hotel at the La Praga location.
Week of Sep 24 – Sep 28, 2012
- Le BelAir and Seafood Paradise restaurants in Edmunston will close (available in French only)
- Date Modified: