Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes workers, not elsewhere classified, who perform various technical therapy and assessment functions. Some may assist professionals such as audiologists, speech-language pathologists, ophthalmologists and physiotherapists. They are employed in hospitals, clinics, extended care facilities, rehabilitation centres, educational institutions and in the private practices of the professionals they assist. Massage therapists may also be self-employed.
audio prosthetist, audiology technician, audiometric assistant, audiometric technician, hearing aid consultant, massage therapist (MT), ophthalmic assistant, ophthalmic technician, ophthalmic technologist, physical rehabilitation technician, physiotherapy technician, speech technician, speech therapist aide, speech therapy aide.
- Audio prosthetists examine clients to determine appropriate type of hearing aid; may test patient's hearing; take ear impressions for use in the manufacture of the devices; fit and adjust hearing aids; and perform follow-up examinations and readjustments.
- Audiometric assistants administer, under the supervision of audiologists, tests such as speech reception and speech discrimination to determine the hearing thresholds of patients; and record these test results.
- Communication assistants carry out remedial programs, under the supervision of speech-language pathologists, to rehabilitate patients with communicative disorders.
- Massage therapists assess clients by conducting range of motion and muscle testing and propose treatment plans; treat soft tissues and joints of the body through soft tissue manipulation, hydrotherapy, remedial exercise programs and client self-help programs; provide courses of treatment for medical conditions and injuries or wellness maintenance; maintain records of treatments given; and may work with other health care professionals when appropriate.
- Ophthalmic medical assistants operate ophthalmic testing and measuring instruments to aid ophthalmologists to assess patients' vision; record test results; assist ophthalmologists in office surgery; and administer eye drops, ointments and medications as directed by ophthalmologists.
- Physical rehabilitation technicians carry out, under physiotherapists' direction, treatment programs such as massage, thermotherapy, traction and hydrotherapy to rehabilitate injured or disabled individuals.
Outlook & Prospects for Other Technical Occupations in Therapy and Assessment in Edmundston--Woodstock Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Edmundston--Woodstock Region||<Not assigned>||2011-05-25|
According to the most recent (2006) Census, this is a medium-sized occupational group with a labour force of 115, and an unemployment rate (0%) that is below the average (8%) for all occupations in the area.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Nov 18 - Nov 22, 2013
- Employees of the Twin Rivers paper mills in Edmundston and Plaster Rock have rejected the latest contract offer from the company. The company was offering a 10 percent salary increase over five years. The company was also proposing to reduce social benefits and cut 45 jobs. The unionized employees have been without a contract since July 2012. No date has been set to return to the negotiating table.
- The union representing the municipal police force of Edmundston has reached agreement with their employer, the City of Edmundston, on a new five-year contract. The recently formed Association des policières et policiers, répartitrices et répartiteurs d'Edmundston (APPRRE), representing 45 members, signed a five-year contract guarantying a 3 percent pay increase each year. The new contract is valid until December 2017.
- An investment of over $240,000 has been made by the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA) to renovate the LP Fisher Library in Woodstock. The renovation work will include the heating system as well as improvements to electrical, plumbing and heating systems. The LP Fisher Library is a century-old building located in downtown Woodstock.
- The new family restaurant Station 127 will open in mid-October in the former La Praga restaurant building in downtown Edmundston. The restaurant is expected to employ 20 people.
- Fredericton-based Springhill Construction Limited has won the contract to build the new Southern Carleton Elementary School on Bull Road in Bedell, Carleton County. The sod turning event was held recently. The new school will replace two older schools in the area.
- Dora Construction of Dieppe has been awarded the $18.7M contract to build the new Centennial Elementary School. The new school will be built on Elizabeth Street in Woodstock.
- Date Modified: