Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes specialist physicians in clinical medicine, in laboratory medicine and in surgery. Specialists in clinical medicine diagnose and treat diseases and physiological or psychiatric disorders and act as consultants to other physicians. Specialists in laboratory medicine study the nature, cause and development of diseases in humans. Specialists in surgery perform and supervise surgical procedures. Specialists in clinical medicine usually work in private practice or in a hospital while those in laboratory medicine and in surgery usually work in hospitals. Residents in training to become specialist physicians are included in this unit group.
anatomical pathologist, anesthetist, cardiac surgeon, cardiologist, clinical immunologist-allergist, dermatologist, diagnostic radiologist, emergency physician, endocrinologist, gastroenterologist, general pathologist, general surgeon, geriatrician, hematologist, hematopathologist, medical microbiologist, nephrologist, neurologist, neuropathologist, neurosurgeon, obstetrician-gynecologist, oncologist, ophthalmologist, orthopedic surgeon, orthopedist, otolaryngologist, otorhinolaryngologist, pediatric surgeon, pediatrician, physiatrist, plastic surgeon, pneumologist, psychiatrist, radiation oncologist, respirologist, rheumatologist, thoracic surgeon, urologist, vascular surgeon.
- Diagnose and treat diseases and physiological or psychiatric disorders
- Order laboratory tests, X-rays and other diagnostic procedures
- Prescribe medication and treatment and refer patients for surgery
- Act as consultants to other physicians
- May conduct medical research.
- Study the nature, cause and development of diseases in humans and the structural and functional changes caused by diseases
- Conduct microscopic and chemical analyses of laboratory samples and specimens
- Supervise laboratory activities
- Act as consultants to other physicians.
- Assess patients' diseases or disorders to determine appropriate surgical procedures
- Perform and supervise surgical procedures to correct physical abnormalities and deficiencies and repair injuries
- Act as consultants to other physicians.
Outlook & Prospects for Specialist Physicians in Edmundston--Woodstock Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Provincial Employment Potential Information
The following table identifies employment conditions within New Brunswick.
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Saint John--St. Stephen Region||2011-07-06|
Labour Market Bulletins
An analysis of the local labour market and an assessment of local employment-related events.
Provincial / Territorial Labour Market News
Week of May 06 – May 10, 2013
- The Miramichi Regional Hospital will cut 6 positions as part of the cost saving measures announced by the Horizon Health Network. Staff were notified on Friday May 3rd.
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- The town of Tracadie-Sheila is expected to lose laundry services at their local hospital, leading to a loss of 10 jobs. The provincial government announced that it was consolidating these services and is transferring the hospital's laundry services to the Campbellton hospital. The municipal council of Tracadie-Sheila is sending a letter to the minister Claude Landry to voice their concerns about this decision.
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- The Minister of Health for the province of New Brunswick announced that roughly 400 jobs in the health-care system would be eliminated in the next year in an attempt to control spending. Horizon Health Network will cut 131 positions this fiscal year. 57 jobs will be cut at Facilicorp and 40 positions will be eliminated at the Department of Health itself. More job cuts are expected to be announced later this year.
Week of Apr 08 – Apr 12, 2013
- A new $30M seniors complex was announced for the Sussex area and could see construction begin this summer pending town council approval. The complex would provide housing for about 150 seniors in various housing accommodations from independent to assisted-living arrangements. When open, it is expected to provide employment for up to 100 people in the region.
- Date Modified: