Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Computer engineers (except software engineers and designers) research, plan, design, develop, modify, evaluate and integrate computer and telecommunications hardware and related equipment, and information and communication system networks including mainframe systems, local and wide area networks, fibre-optic networks, wireless communication networks, Intranets, the Internet and other data communications systems. They are employed by computer and telecommunication hardware manufacturers, by engineering, manufacturing and telecommunications firms, in information technology consulting firms, by governmental, educational and research institutions and in information technology units throughout the private and public sectors.
application specific integrated circuit (ASIC) design engineer, computer engineer, computer hardware engineer, engineer, computer hardware, engineer, telecommunications hardware, fibre-optic network designer, hardware circuit board designer, hardware design engineer, hardware development engineer, hardware engineer, network systems engineer, network test engineer, systems designer – hardware, technical architect – hardware, wireless communications network engineer.
- Analyze user's requirements, and design and develop system architecture and specifications
- Research, design, develop and integrate computer and telecommunications hardware such as microprocessors, integrated circuit boards and semiconductor lasers
- Develop and conduct design verification simulations and prototype bench tests of components
- Supervise, inspect and provide design support during the manufacturing, installation and implementation of computer and telecommunications hardware
- Establish and maintain relationships with suppliers and clients
- May lead and co-ordinate teams of engineers, technologists, technicians and drafters in the design and development of computer and telecommunications hardware.
- Research, design and develop information and communication system network architecture
- Research, evaluate and integrate network system and data communication hardware and software
- Assess, document and optimize the capacity and performance of information and communication system networks
- May lead and co-ordinate teams of design professionals in the development and integration of information and communication system architecture, hardware and software.
Computer engineers may specialize in a number of areas including analog and digital signal processing, fibre optics, integrated circuits, lasers, microprocessors, microwaves and radio astronomy.
Outlook & Prospects for Computer Engineers (Except Software Engineers and Designers) in Edmundston--Woodstock Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Nov 18 - Nov 22, 2013
- Employees of the Twin Rivers paper mills in Edmundston and Plaster Rock have rejected the latest contract offer from the company. The company was offering a 10 percent salary increase over five years. The company was also proposing to reduce social benefits and cut 45 jobs. The unionized employees have been without a contract since July 2012. No date has been set to return to the negotiating table.
- The union representing the municipal police force of Edmundston has reached agreement with their employer, the City of Edmundston, on a new five-year contract. The recently formed Association des policières et policiers, répartitrices et répartiteurs d'Edmundston (APPRRE), representing 45 members, signed a five-year contract guarantying a 3 percent pay increase each year. The new contract is valid until December 2017.
- An investment of over $240,000 has been made by the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA) to renovate the LP Fisher Library in Woodstock. The renovation work will include the heating system as well as improvements to electrical, plumbing and heating systems. The LP Fisher Library is a century-old building located in downtown Woodstock.
- The new family restaurant Station 127 will open in mid-October in the former La Praga restaurant building in downtown Edmundston. The restaurant is expected to employ 20 people.
- Fredericton-based Springhill Construction Limited has won the contract to build the new Southern Carleton Elementary School on Bull Road in Bedell, Carleton County. The sod turning event was held recently. The new school will replace two older schools in the area.
- Dora Construction of Dieppe has been awarded the $18.7M contract to build the new Centennial Elementary School. The new school will be built on Elizabeth Street in Woodstock.
- Date Modified: