Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Senior managers in this unit group plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate, through middle managers, the overall operations of goods production, utility, transportation and construction companies. They formulate policies which establish the direction to be taken by these companies, either alone or in conjunction with other members of a board of directors.
chief executive officer (CEO) – manufacturing company, chief financial officer (CFO) – urban transit system, corporate controller, logging company, executive vice-president – railway, general manager, trucking company, president, residential construction company, publishing house general manager, regional vice-president, petroleum production company, vice-president, finance – mining company, vice-president, marketing – airline, vice-president, operations – electric power company, vice-president, sales – pulp and paper manufacturing.
- Establish objectives for the company and formulate or approve policies and programs
- Authorize and organize the establishment of major departments and associated senior staff positions
- Allocate material, human and financial resources to implement company policies and programs; establish financial and administrative controls; formulate and approve promotional campaigns; and approve overall personnel planning
- Select middle managers, directors or other executive staff
- Co-ordinate the work of regions, divisions or departments
- Represent the company or delegate representatives to act on behalf of the company in negotiations or other official functions.
Senior managers in this unit group may specialize in areas such as finance, marketing or human resources or in a particular product area.
Outlook & Prospects for Senior Managers – Goods Production, Utilities, Transportation and Construction in Edmundston--Woodstock Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Edmundston--Woodstock Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2012-05-10|
Currently the chances of qualified Senior Managers in Goods Production, Utilities, Transportation and Construction finding employment are considered to be fair in the local area.
Job opportunities in this occupation are found in these industries: 1) manufacturing and 2) construction. The main reason employment prospects are considered fair for this occupation is that in spite of the difficult economic situation in the northwest region the last few years, the construction industry has stayed strong in the area. Construction jobsites multiplied in the area throughout 2011. Construction being a major industry for this occupation, 2012 is expected to be a good year for commercial and industrial construction in the region, thanks to planned construction projects and projects already in progress (new care homes, sports pavilion as well as construction of the new Westco slaughterhouse in Haut-Madawaska). This should create several jobs for this occupation in the next year.
Employment opportunities for Senior Managers in Goods Production, Utilities, Transportation and Construction may vary in different communities across the province. You may want to check for specific opportunities in your community. Also, people who are able to work elsewhere may want to research the opportunities for this occupation in other areas of NB or in other provinces across the country.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Nov 18 - Nov 22, 2013
- Employees of the Twin Rivers paper mills in Edmundston and Plaster Rock have rejected the latest contract offer from the company. The company was offering a 10 percent salary increase over five years. The company was also proposing to reduce social benefits and cut 45 jobs. The unionized employees have been without a contract since July 2012. No date has been set to return to the negotiating table.
- The union representing the municipal police force of Edmundston has reached agreement with their employer, the City of Edmundston, on a new five-year contract. The recently formed Association des policières et policiers, répartitrices et répartiteurs d'Edmundston (APPRRE), representing 45 members, signed a five-year contract guarantying a 3 percent pay increase each year. The new contract is valid until December 2017.
- An investment of over $240,000 has been made by the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA) to renovate the LP Fisher Library in Woodstock. The renovation work will include the heating system as well as improvements to electrical, plumbing and heating systems. The LP Fisher Library is a century-old building located in downtown Woodstock.
- The new family restaurant Station 127 will open in mid-October in the former La Praga restaurant building in downtown Edmundston. The restaurant is expected to employ 20 people.
- Fredericton-based Springhill Construction Limited has won the contract to build the new Southern Carleton Elementary School on Bull Road in Bedell, Carleton County. The sod turning event was held recently. The new school will replace two older schools in the area.
- Dora Construction of Dieppe has been awarded the $18.7M contract to build the new Centennial Elementary School. The new school will be built on Elizabeth Street in Woodstock.
- Date Modified: