Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes workers, not elsewhere classified, who perform various technical therapy and assessment functions. Some may assist professionals such as audiologists, speech-language pathologists, ophthalmologists and physiotherapists. They are employed in hospitals, clinics, extended care facilities, rehabilitation centres, educational institutions and in the private practices of the professionals they assist. Massage therapists may also be self-employed.
audio prosthetist, audiology technician, audiometric assistant, audiometric technician, hearing aid consultant, massage therapist (MT), ophthalmic assistant, ophthalmic technician, ophthalmic technologist, physical rehabilitation technician, physiotherapy technician, speech technician, speech therapist aide, speech therapy aide.
- Audio prosthetists examine clients to determine appropriate type of hearing aid; may test patient's hearing; take ear impressions for use in the manufacture of the devices; fit and adjust hearing aids; and perform follow-up examinations and readjustments.
- Audiometric assistants administer, under the supervision of audiologists, tests such as speech reception and speech discrimination to determine the hearing thresholds of patients; and record these test results.
- Communication assistants carry out remedial programs, under the supervision of speech-language pathologists, to rehabilitate patients with communicative disorders.
- Massage therapists assess clients by conducting range of motion and muscle testing and propose treatment plans; treat soft tissues and joints of the body through soft tissue manipulation, hydrotherapy, remedial exercise programs and client self-help programs; provide courses of treatment for medical conditions and injuries or wellness maintenance; maintain records of treatments given; and may work with other health care professionals when appropriate.
- Ophthalmic medical assistants operate ophthalmic testing and measuring instruments to aid ophthalmologists to assess patients' vision; record test results; assist ophthalmologists in office surgery; and administer eye drops, ointments and medications as directed by ophthalmologists.
- Physical rehabilitation technicians carry out, under physiotherapists' direction, treatment programs such as massage, thermotherapy, traction and hydrotherapy to rehabilitate injured or disabled individuals.
Barrie, Cambridge, Guelph, Kitchener, Orillia, Waterloo, Bradford West Gwillimbury, Collingwood, Innisfil, Midland, New Hamburg, New Tecumseth, Orangeville, Penetanguishene, Port McNicoll, Shelburne, Alliston, Ayr, Beeton, Buena Vista Park, Cardwell, Cookstown, Cumberland Beach, Elmira, Elmvale, Purple Hill, Rockcut, Rockwood, Starrview Acres, St. Jacobs, Tottenham
Outlook & Prospects for Other Technical Occupations in Therapy and Assessment in Kitchener--Waterloo--Barrie Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Local Labour Market News
Week of Jun 03 – Jun 07, 2013
- Tech Jobs+ is hosting a recruitment event on Tuesday June 18 from 5pm to 7pm at the Waterloo Inn in Waterloo
Week of May 27 – May 31, 2013
- Economical Insurance is laying off 104 staff in the information technology and underwriting departments in Waterloo as part of its business transformation program to streamline operations
Week of May 20 – May 24, 2013
- Hitachi Construction Truck Manufacturing Ltd. has completed the $32M expansion of its Guelph facility. The company plans to bring 500 new jobs to the area by 2018.
- Sears Canada Inc. opened a Sears Hometown store in Orillia
Week of May 13 – May 17, 2013
- A $60M expansion project of the existing Tanger Outlets Cookstown mall will create 125 jobs during construction and 400 retail jobs upon completion
- Bioenterprise Corporation is receiving $367,500 from FedDev Ontario to support Southern Ontario entrepreneurs in the agri-technology sector
- The Vista Hospitality Group is converting the Delta Kitchener-Waterloo Hotel to a Crowne Plaza Hotel in downtown Kitchener. Renovation costs are about $8M and the project is expected to be completed by April 2014.
- ONRoute service centres is hosting a job fair at Cambridge Career Connections on May 29 and 30th from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm, in Cambridge
- Date Modified: