Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Electrical and electronics engineering technologists and technicians may work independently or provide technical support and services in the design, development, testing, production and operation of electrical and electronic equipment and systems. They are employed by electrical utilities, communications companies, manufacturers of electrical and electronic equipment, consulting firms, and in governments and a wide range of manufacturing, processing and transportation industries.
communications technologist, electrical engineering technician, electrical engineering technologist, electricity distribution network technologist, electronics design technologist, electronics engineering technician, electronics engineering technologist, electronics manufacturing technician, electronics manufacturing technologist, lighting technologist, metering technologist, microwave maintenance technician, production support technician – electronics manufacturing.
- Design, develop and test power equipment and systems, industrial process control systems, telecommunication, broadcast, recording and audiovisual systems, micro-electronic systems and circuits, computers, computer systems and networks, and computer software
- Supervise the building and testing of prototypes according to general instructions and established standards
- Conduct or supervise the installation, commissioning, and operation of electrical and electronic equipment and systems other than aircraft electronics or instruments
- Carry out applied research in fields of electrical and electronic engineering and physics under the direction of scientists or engineers
- Set up and operate specialized and standard test equipment to diagnose, test and analyze the performance of electrical and electronic components, assemblies and systems
- Write specifications, schedules and technical reports and control schedules and budgets.
- Assist in the design, development and testing of electrical and electronic components, equipment, and systems
- Assist in inspection, testing, adjusting and evaluation of incoming electrical, electro-mechanical and electronic components and assemblies to ensure conformance with product specifications and tolerances
- Conduct life tests (burn-ins) on assemblies and record and analyze results
- Assist in building and testing prototypes to specifications
- Carry out a limited range of technical functions in support of research in electrical and electronic engineering and physics
- Install, operate and maintain electrical and electronic equipment and systems
- Calibrate electrical or electronic equipment and instruments according to technical manuals and written instructions
- Collect and compile operational or experimental data and assist in the preparation of estimates, schedules, budgets, specifications and reports.
Barrie, Cambridge, Guelph, Kitchener, Orillia, Waterloo, Bradford West Gwillimbury, Collingwood, Innisfil, Midland, New Hamburg, New Tecumseth, Orangeville, Penetanguishene, Port McNicoll, Shelburne, Alliston, Ayr, Beeton, Buena Vista Park, Cardwell, Cookstown, Cumberland Beach, Elmira, Elmvale, Purple Hill, Rockcut, Rockwood, Starrview Acres, St. Jacobs, Tottenham
Outlook & Prospects for Electrical and Electronics Engineering Technologists and Technicians in Kitchener--Waterloo--Barrie Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Provincial Employment Potential Information
The following table identifies employment conditions within Ontario.
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Hamilton--Niagara Peninsula Region||<Not assigned>||2012-03-09|
|Kingston - Pembroke Region||<Not assigned>||2012-03-09|
|Kitchener--Waterloo--Barrie Region||<Not assigned>||2012-03-09|
|London Region||<Not assigned>||2012-03-09|
|Muskoka-Kawarthas Region||<Not assigned>||2012-03-09|
|Northeast Region||<Not assigned>||2012-03-09|
|Northwest Region||<Not assigned>||2012-03-09|
|Ottawa Region||<Not assigned>||2012-03-09|
|Stratford--Bruce Peninsula Region||<Not assigned>||2012-03-09|
|Windsor-Sarnia Region||<Not assigned>||2012-03-09|
Additional Provincial Prospects
Visit the Provincial Job Futures for information on the current trends and the future outlook for occupations in this province or territory. This Web site is a joint effort of the federal, provincial and territorial governments. You can view a report specific to this occupation on: Provincial Job Futures - (Employment Prospects section) Web Site.
Labour Market Bulletins
An analysis of the local labour market and an assessment of local employment-related events.
Provincial / Territorial Labour Market News
Week of Apr 29 – May 03, 2013
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- Penn Energy of Pennsylvania started site preparation on its 90-acre solar panel farm near Baltimore, just northeast of Cobourg, creating approximately 100 short-term jobs
- All eight Bruce Power plant nuclear generating units in Tiverton are now again in full operation. Bruce Power is currently seeking supply chain, IT, project management, operations and maintenance staff.
Week of Mar 25 – Mar 29, 2013
- Construction is complete on the Niagara Tunnel Project. The hydroelectric development cost nearly $1.6B and created up to 600 construction jobs in the Niagara region.
Week of Oct 29 – Nov 02, 2012
- Date Modified: