Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Urban and land use planners develop plans and recommend policies for managing land use, physical facilities and associated services for urban and rural areas and remote regions. They are employed by all levels of government, land developers, engineering and other consulting companies or may work as private consultants.
city planner, community and urban planner, environmental planner, land use planner, long-range planner, municipal planner, park planner, planner, planning analyst, recreation planner, regional planner, urban planner.
- Compile and analyze data on demographic, economic, legal, political, cultural, sociological, physical and other factors affecting land use
- Confer with municipal, provincial and federal authorities, civic leaders, social scientists, lawyers, land developers, the public and special interest groups to formulate and develop land use or community plans
- Prepare and recommend land development concepts and plans for zoning, subdivisions, transportation, public utilities, community facilities, parks, agricultural and other land uses
- Prepare plans for environmental protection, such as wildlife preserves, national and provincial parks, and protection of watersheds
- Present plans to civic, rural and regional authorities and hold public meetings to present plans, proposals or planning studies to the general public and special interest groups
- Review and evaluate proposals for land use and development plans and prepare recommendations
- Process application for land development permits and administer land use plans and zoning by-laws
- Formulate long-range objectives and policies relative to future land use and the protection of the environment
- Supervise and co-ordinate work of urban planning technicians and technologists.
Barrie, Cambridge, Guelph, Kitchener, Orillia, Waterloo, Bradford West Gwillimbury, Collingwood, Innisfil, Midland, New Hamburg, New Tecumseth, Orangeville, Penetanguishene, Port McNicoll, Shelburne, Alliston, Ayr, Beeton, Buena Vista Park, Cardwell, Cookstown, Cumberland Beach, Elmira, Elmvale, Purple Hill, Rockcut, Rockwood, Starrview Acres, St. Jacobs, Tottenham
Outlook & Prospects for Urban and Land Use Planners in Kitchener--Waterloo--Barrie Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Local Labour Market News
Week of Jun 03 – Jun 07, 2013
- Tech Jobs+ is hosting a recruitment event on Tuesday June 18 from 5pm to 7pm at the Waterloo Inn in Waterloo
Week of May 27 – May 31, 2013
- Economical Insurance is laying off 104 staff in the information technology and underwriting departments in Waterloo as part of its business transformation program to streamline operations
Week of May 20 – May 24, 2013
- Hitachi Construction Truck Manufacturing Ltd. has completed the $32M expansion of its Guelph facility. The company plans to bring 500 new jobs to the area by 2018.
- Sears Canada Inc. opened a Sears Hometown store in Orillia
Week of May 13 – May 17, 2013
- A $60M expansion project of the existing Tanger Outlets Cookstown mall will create 125 jobs during construction and 400 retail jobs upon completion
- Bioenterprise Corporation is receiving $367,500 from FedDev Ontario to support Southern Ontario entrepreneurs in the agri-technology sector
- The Vista Hospitality Group is converting the Delta Kitchener-Waterloo Hotel to a Crowne Plaza Hotel in downtown Kitchener. Renovation costs are about $8M and the project is expected to be completed by April 2014.
- ONRoute service centres is hosting a job fair at Cambridge Career Connections on May 29 and 30th from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm, in Cambridge
- Date Modified: