Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Retail salespersons and sales clerks sell, rent or lease a range of technical and non-technical goods and services directly to consumers. They are employed by stores and other retail businesses, as well as wholesale businesses that sell on a retail basis to the public.
audio equipment salesperson, automobile salesperson, car rental agent, clothing salesperson, computer salesperson – retail, counter clerk – retail, department store clerk, furniture salesperson, hardware store clerk, jewellery salesperson, retail sales associate, retail sales clerk, retail salesperson.
- Greet customers and discuss type, quality and quantity of merchandise or services sought for purchase, rental or lease
- Advise customers on use and care of merchandise, and provide advice concerning specialized products or services
- Estimate or quote prices, credit terms, trade-in allowances, warranties and delivery dates
- Prepare merchandise for purchase, rental or lease
- Prepare sales, rental or leasing contracts and accept cash, cheque, credit card or automatic debit payment
- Assist in display of merchandise
- Maintain sales records for inventory control
- Operate computerized inventory record keeping and re-ordering systems
- May conduct sales transactions through Internet-based electronic commerce.
Retail salespersons may specialize and act as consultants in interior decorating, home entertainment systems, computers and other products and services.
Outlook & Prospects for Retail Salespersons and Sales Clerks in Stratford--Bruce Peninsula Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Provincial Employment Potential Information
The following table identifies employment conditions within Ontario.
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Hamilton--Niagara Peninsula Region||2012-12-07|
|Kingston - Pembroke Region||2012-12-07|
|Stratford--Bruce Peninsula Region||2012-12-07|
Additional Provincial Prospects
Visit the Provincial Job Futures for information on the current trends and the future outlook for occupations in this province or territory. This Web site is a joint effort of the federal, provincial and territorial governments. You can view a report specific to this occupation on: Provincial Job Futures - (Employment Prospects section) Web Site.
Labour Market Bulletins
An analysis of the local labour market and an assessment of local employment-related events.
Provincial / Territorial Labour Market News
Week of Apr 29 – May 03, 2013
- A Delicate Edge, a new clothing boutique and hair salon, will open in Kincardine on Queen Street in May
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- A 25,000 sq.-ft. Bed, Bath and Beyond has opened in London
- Indigo Books in downtown Kingston will close on June 29 after the company decided not to renew its lease. The store employed over 20 full-time staff and several part-time staff.
- Foley’s Furnishing in Collingwood will close, affecting nine full-time employees and one part-time employee
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- A new Winners store opened at the Heritage Grove Shopping Centre in Owen Sound creating approximately 70 jobs. Additional stores set to open at the centre include Value Village, Michael's, the Dollar Tree and Future Shop.
- Hudson's Bay Company will open an outlet store at the Premium Outlet mall in Halton Hills this summer
- Boomerang Kids, a consignment retailer that sells children's clothing and toys, will open three new Ottawa locations as well as a new Toronto location
Week of Apr 08 – Apr 12, 2013
- Nordstrom Inc. announced that it will open a second location in Toronto in the fall of 2016 at the Yorkdale Shopping Centre. The Centre will also undergo a $331M expansion starting in January 2014.
- H&M, a clothing retailer, will open a new 22,000 sq.-ft. store in the Bayshore Shopping Centre in Ottawa in the fall
- Bourgeois Motors Ltd., a car dealership in Midland, is moving to a larger facility in August 2013 and plans to hire more employees
- The Retail Council of Canada, in partnership with the City of Toronto, will host the Retail Job Fair on April 30, 2013 at the Toronto Reference Library
- Date Modified: