Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Cooks prepare and cook a wide variety of foods. They are employed in restaurants, hotels, hospitals and other health care institutions, central food commissaries, educational institutions and other establishments. Cooks are also employed aboard ships and at construction and logging campsites. Apprentice cooks are included in this unit group.
apprentice cook, cook, dietary cook, first cook, grill cook, hospital cook, institutional cook, journeyman/woman cook, licensed cook, line cook, second cook, short order cook.
- Prepare and cook complete meals or individual dishes and foods
- Prepare and cook special meals for patients as instructed by dietitian or chef
- Schedule and supervise kitchen helpers
- Oversee kitchen operations
- Maintain inventory and records of food, supplies and equipment
- May set up and oversee buffets
- May clean kitchen and work area
- May plan menus, determine size of food portions, estimate food requirements and costs, and monitor and order supplies.
- May hire and train kitchen staff
Cooks may specialize in preparing and cooking ethnic cuisine or special dishes.
Wages for Cooks in Stratford--Bruce Peninsula Region
Wages depend on job requirements and work conditions. They also vary between regions, for reasons such as location, labour agreements, and the availability of workers. The wages below are estimated before taxes.
|Newfoundland and Labrador||10.00||11.35||18.41||Note|
|Prince Edward Island||10.00||10.40||18.27||Note|
- Date Modified: