Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Supervisors in this unit group supervise and co-ordinate the activities of workers who fabricate, assemble and inspect mechanical and metal products, such as aircraft and aircraft parts, heavy trucks, buses, trailers, motor vehicle engines, transmissions, heating equipment, commercial refrigeration and similar metal products. They are employed by a wide variety of manufacturing companies.
aircraft assembly foreman/woman, engine assembly foreman/woman (except aircraft), foreman/woman, metalworking machine operators, foreman/woman, mobile home assembly, shipyard painter foreman/woman, supervisor, helicopter assembly, supervisor, snowmobile assembly, truck trailer assembly foreman/woman.
- Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule activities of workers who assemble and inspect products such as aircraft, buses, heavy trucks, transmissions, automobile engines and refrigeration and heating equipment
- Establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate work activities with other departments
- Resolve work problems and recommend measures to improve productivity and product quality
- Requisition materials and supplies
- Train staff in job duties, safety procedures and company policies
- Recommend personnel actions such as hirings and promotions
- Prepare production and other reports
- May set up machinery and equipment.
Outlook & Prospects for Supervisors, Other Mechanical and Metal Products Manufacturing in London Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Provincial Employment Potential Information
The following table identifies employment conditions within Ontario.
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Hamilton--Niagara Peninsula Region||N/A||N/A|
|Kingston - Pembroke Region||N/A||N/A|
|Stratford--Bruce Peninsula Region||N/A||N/A|
Additional Provincial Prospects
Visit the Provincial Job Futures for information on the current trends and the future outlook for occupations in this province or territory. This Web site is a joint effort of the federal, provincial and territorial governments. You can view a report specific to this occupation on: Provincial Job Futures - (Employment Prospects section) Web Site.
Labour Market Bulletins
An analysis of the local labour market and an assessment of local employment-related events.
Provincial / Territorial Labour Market News
Week of May 06 – May 10, 2013
- The London Black Fly Beverage Co. is planning to double its production capacity next year and expand into other markets. Six summer staff will be recruited to promote its new products.
- Caterpillar Inc. announced that it will close its Toronto tunnel-boring machine facility by mid-April 2014, which will lead to 330 people being out of work
- Knape & Vogt Manufacturing Co. is closing its furniture facility in Kitchener by the second half of 2014 and moving the operation to Grand Rapids, Michigan, affecting more than 230 workers
Week of Apr 29 – May 03, 2013
- PowerBlades Inc., a subsidiary of REpower Systems, is hiring about 200 workers to manufacture wind turbine blades in Welland
- TSP Canada Towers Inc., a Thorold-based wind tower manufacturer, is looking to fill 150 positions with young local workers
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- Vale opened its new $13M processing facility at its precious metals refinery in Port Colborne
- General Motors is recalling 114 production workers to the Glendale Powertrain plant in St. Catharines in June and 60 workers in the fall
- Babcock & Wilcox Canada Ltd., a steam generation products manufacturer, laid off 26 workers at its Cambridge location
- Longtime Cobourg manufacturer Signode [Strapex] will close in June, affecting 25 workers. Parent company Illinois Tool Works is consolidating operations in the U.S.
- Resolute Forest Products announced a two-week shutdown at their newsprint mill in Thunder Bay, affecting more than 100 workers. The company cites market conditions for the downtime.
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- FedDev Ontario will invest up to $2.5M in Arnprio-based Pillar5 Pharma Inc. to help the company expand its manufacturing operations. The expansion is expected to create 50 jobs.
- Cana-Vac has moved its assembly operations from Owen Sound to Stratford, affecting 42 employees in total. It is recruiting accounting, engineering, customer service, purchasing, manufacturing and inventory staff for its Stratford location.
- ElringKlinger Canada Inc. in Leamington is laying off 26 unionized workers on May 27
- Cameco Fuel Manufacturing to lay off 17 staff at its Port Hope facility
- Date Modified: