Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes a range of technical, co-ordinating and supervisory workers who co-ordinate and perform specific activities for television, radio and motion picture productions, news broadcasts, theatre and stage productions, and other live or recorded productions. They are employed by television and radio stations and networks, recording studios, motion picture and video production companies, concert promoters and theatre, stage and dance companies.
costumier, floor manager – broadcasting, gaffer, key grip, lighting technician, make-up artist, program co-ordinator – broadcasting, property master – broadcasting, settings shop foreman/woman, special effects technician, stage manager, stage technician, stunt co-ordinator, theatre technician.
- Floor managers co-ordinate camera operators and other technical staff, and cue announcers, actors and performers during news broadcasts and television program tapings.
- Key grips supervise grips, gaffers and stagehands who rig, place, move and dismantle lights, sets, backdrops, scenery and other stage equipment.
- Gaffers and lighting technicians set up, operate and make repairs to lights and other electrical equipment in studios and on sets and stages.
- Stunt co-ordinators and special effects technicians design and co-ordinate special effects such as fires, explosions and crashes.
- Make-up artists apply cosmetic and special effects make-up on actors and other performers.
- Costumiers study scripts to determine the necessary costumes; oversee the acquisition, fitting and maintenance of costumes.
- Settings shop foremen assist in preparing the construction specifications for sets.
- Property masters identify and list the necessary props and place them during rehearsals and performances.
Outlook & Prospects for Other Technical and Co-ordinating Occupations in Motion Pictures, Broadcasting and the Performing Arts in London Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Local Labour Market News
Week of Jun 03 – Jun 07, 2013
- Shamrock Metal Recycling opened in May, employing three people with plans to add another seven as the business grows
Week of May 27 – May 31, 2013
- St. Anne's Catholic School in St. Thomas is expanding to accommodate the arrival of full-day kindergarten in September 2013. K+L Construction Limited holds the project contract, which is budgeted at approximately $1M.
- The Elgin Children’s Aid Society in St. Thomas issued layoff notices to 10 people due to a reduction in its budget. The agency will also make cuts to a number of services and programs.
- The diSTRICTLY Business Regional Expo of Enterprise will be taking place on June 6, 2013, at the Western Fair District’s Progress Building in London. Over 200 exhibitors are expected to be present.
Week of May 20 – May 24, 2013
- The Government of Ontario has partnered with Armo Tool Limited to expand production at its Middlesex plant, creating 14 new jobs and retaining 125 positions
Week of May 13 – May 17, 2013
- The Ontario Hockey League announced that London has won the bid to host the 2014 MasterCard Memorial Cup. The event will take place from May 16-25, 2014.
- Date Modified: