Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Longshore workers transfer cargo throughout dock area and onto and from ships and other vessels. They are employed by marine cargo handling companies, shipping agencies and shipping lines.
dockworker, longshore worker, longshoreman/woman, ship loader operator, stevedore, tanker loader.
- Operate industrial trucks, tractors and other mobile equipment to transfer cargo, such as containers, crated items, automobiles and pallet-mounted machinery, around dock to within range of cranes and hoists
- Operate winches or other hoisting devices to load and unload cargo onto and from ships and other vessels
- Operate mechanical towers to load vessels with materials such as coal and ore
- Operate equipment to transfer bulk materials, such as grain, to hold of vessels
- Connect hoses and operate equipment to transfer liquid materials into storage tanks on vessels
- Perform other activities such as lashing and shoring cargo aboard ships, opening and closing hatches, cleaning holds of ships and rigging cargo.
Outlook & Prospects for Longshore Workers in Windsor-Sarnia Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Nov 25 - Nov 29, 2013
- Alternative fuel source producer Innovative Hydrogen Solutions plans to begin manufacturing and assembly operations in Chatham-Kent in December, expects to hire 200 over the next five years
- A $500K business centre for the Chippewas of Kettle and Stony Point First Nation will open early next year in Lambton County. It will contain a gas station and three retail spaces.
- Imperial Oil Ltd. will close its Lubricant Blending Packing and Shipping Gate in Sarnia as it moves the operation to Edmonton in 2014, affecting up to 60 staff
- Heinz Canada to close its Leamington plant in mid-2014 affecting up to 740 employees
- Worthington Cyclinders of Canada Corp. in Tilbury will close its plant in January 2014, affecting close to 100 employees
- Lambton College¿s on-campus daycare program to close July 2014, affecting 21 staff
- Chatham-Kent Career Fair Thursday November 28 from 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. at St. Clair College HealthPlex in Chatham
- CenterLine (Windsor) Ltd. will create a welding centre of excellence, expand its manufacturing floor and upgrade machinery, creating 31 new jobs and retaining 482 positions
- Personal care products manufacturer Pax-All Manufacturing Inc. moved its operations from Mississauga to a plant in Essex County in LaSalle last spring. It expects to hire 15-20 workers as production gets fully underway.
- Duffy¿s Tavern Amherstburg Inc. expects to close its tavern, motel and marina by end of 2013 as owner retires, affecting 40 employees
- Date Modified: