Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Heavy equipment operators operate heavy equipment used in the construction and maintenance of roads, bridges, airports, gas and oil pipelines, tunnels, buildings and other structures; in surface mining and quarrying activities; and in material handling work. They are employed by construction companies, heavy equipment contractors, public works departments and pipeline, logging, cargo-handling and other companies.
backhoe operator, bulldozer operator, excavator operator, gradall operator, grader operator, heavy equipment operator, heavy equipment operator apprentice, loader operator – construction, side boom tractor operator, surface mining equipment operator.
- Operate heavy equipment such as backhoes, bulldozers, loaders and graders to excavate, move, load and grade earth, rock, gravel or other materials during construction and related activities
- Operate bulldozers or other heavy equipment to clear brush and stumps prior to logging activities and to build roads at logging and surface mining sites
- Operate heavy equipment with pile driver head to drive piling into earth to provide support for buildings, bridges or other structures
- Operate heavy dredging equipment to deepen waterways or reclaim earth fill
- Operate heavy paving and surfacing equipment to lay, spread or compact concrete, asphalt and other surface materials during highway and road construction
- Operate power shovels to excavate rock, ore or other materials from open-pit mines, strip mines, quarries or construction pits
- Operate heavy equipment to move, load and unload cargo
- Conduct pre-operational checks on equipment and clean, lubricate and refill equipment.
Wages for Heavy Equipment Operators (Except Crane) in Windsor-Sarnia Region
Wages depend on job requirements and work conditions. They also vary between regions, for reasons such as location, labour agreements, and the availability of workers. The wages below are estimated before taxes.
|Hamilton--Niagara Peninsula Region||16.00||24.00||30.03||NoteLink opens in a new window|
|Kingston - Pembroke Region||16.00||22.40||32.04||NoteLink opens in a new window|
|Kitchener--Waterloo--Barrie Region||18.00||22.00||32.04||NoteLink opens in a new window|
|London Region||16.00||22.40||32.04||NoteLink opens in a new window|
|Muskoka-Kawarthas Region||16.00||22.40||32.04||NoteLink opens in a new window|
|Northeast Region||17.50||22.00||27.00||NoteLink opens in a new window|
|Northwest Region||16.00||22.40||32.04||NoteLink opens in a new window|
|Ottawa Region||17.00||21.00||27.00||NoteLink opens in a new window|
|Stratford--Bruce Peninsula Region||16.00||22.40||32.04||NoteLink opens in a new window|
|Toronto Region||16.00||22.40||32.04||NoteLink opens in a new window|
|Windsor-Sarnia Region||16.00||22.40||32.04||NoteLink opens in a new window|
Ontario Job Futures
Visit the Provincial Job Futures for information on the current trends and the future outlook for occupations in this province or territory. The Web site is a joint effort of the federal, provincial and territorial governments.
You can view a report specific to this occupation on Ontario Job Futures
- Date Modified: