Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Tailors, dressmakers and furriers make, alter and repair tailored clothing, dresses, coats and other made-to-measure garments. Milliners make, alter and repair hats. This unit group also includes alterationists who fit, alter and repair garments. They are employed by clothing retailers, clothing alteration shops, dry cleaners and garment manufacturing companies or they may be self-employed.
alterationist, garments, custom furrier, custom tailor, dressmaker, furrier, milliner, seamstress, tailor.
- Tailors make made-to-measure garments, such as suits and coats according to customers' and clothing manufacturers' specifications and fit; design patterns to fit measurements; mark, cut and sew fabric; and may alter and repair garments as required.
- Dressmakers make women's garments; select and modify commercial patterns to customers' and clothing manufacturers' specifications and fit, mark, cut and sew fabric; and may alter and repair garments as required.
- Furriers make, alter, restyle and repair natural fur garments and accessories.
- Milliners design, lay out, cut, sew and press fabric, leather and other materials into hats and related accessories.
- Alterationists fit, alter and repair garments according to customers' requests by hand or using sewing machines.
Wages for Tailors, Dressmakers, Furriers and Milliners in Windsor-Sarnia Region
Wages depend on job requirements and work conditions. They also vary between regions, for reasons such as location, labour agreements, and the availability of workers. The wages below are estimated before taxes.
- Date Modified: