Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Sports officials and referees observe and enforce rules and regulations governing sporting events, athletic games and sports competitions. They are employed by national, provincial and local sporting commissions, organizations and leagues.
athletics judge, clerk of the course – racetrack, figure skating judge, goal judge, harness racing starter, racetrack timer, referee, sports linesman/woman, sports official, umpire.
- Officiate at sporting events or athletic competitions to maintain standards of play and to ensure that game rules and safety regulations are observed
- Record lapsed time and keep scores during events or competitions
- Judge the performance of competitors, award points, impose penalties for infractions and determine results
- Compile scores and other athletic records
- Establish and maintain rapport with coaches, players and organizing committees
- Verify credentials of athletes or animals engaged in sports or related special events and respond to written protests.
Outlook & Prospects for Sports Officials and Referees in South Coast--Burin Peninsula Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|South Coast--Burin Peninsula Region||2012-02-21|
According to the 2006 Census, only a small number of people are employed in this occupation in the South Coast-Burin region. Therefore, it is likely that the chances of finding employment in this occupation are LIMITED. This means that there are relatively weak employment opportunities for skilled workers in this occupation. Although employment opportunities are limited in the South Coast-Burin region, opportunities may exist in other regions of the province. People who are interested in work elsewhere should research the opportunities for this occupation in other labour markets across the province.
- Date Modified: