Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Medical secretaries perform a variety of secretarial and administrative duties in doctor's offices, hospitals, medical clinics and other medical settings.
- Schedule and confirm medical appointments and receive and communicate messages for medical staff and patients
- Prepare, key in, edit, and proofread medical records, reports, articles, case histories and correspondence from machine dictation, shorthand and handwritten notes using computers
- Interview patients in order to complete forms, documents and case histories
- Complete insurance and other claim forms
- Initiate and maintain confidential medical files and records
- Prepare financial statements and billing procedures
- Order supplies and maintain inventory
- Determine and establish office procedures and routines
- May supervise and train other staff in procedures and in use of current software.
Outlook & Prospects for Medical Secretaries in South Coast--Burin Peninsula Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|South Coast--Burin Peninsula Region||(1 of 3 stars)||2012-03-13|
According to the 2006 Census, only a small number of people are employed in this occupation in the South Coast-Burin region. Therefore, it is likely that the chances of finding employment in this occupation are LIMITED. This means that there are relatively weak employment opportunities for skilled workers in this occupation. Although employment opportunities are limited in the South Coast-Burin region, opportunities may exist in other regions of the province. People who are interested in work elsewhere should research the opportunities for this occupation in other labour markets across the province.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Aug 12 - Aug 16, 2013
- The provincial government announced $793,000 in funding to upgrade the pharmacy and purchase new equipment to support chemotherapy services at the Burin Peninsula Health Centre in Burin, NL
- The federal government and the government of NL announced the official opening of six new affordable housing units for seniors in Burin, NL
- The federal government and the government of NL announced the official opening of eight new affordable housing units for seniors and persons with disabilities in Salt Pond on the Burin Peninsula, NL
- A $1.8 M contract has been awarded to Noble¿s Construction Ltd. of Springdale for the construction of a new dialysis site at the Connaigre Peninsula Health Centre in Harbour Breton
- Date Modified: