Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Sheet metal workers fabricate, assemble, install and repair sheet metal products. They are employed by sheet metal fabrication shops, sheet metal products manufacturing companies, sheet metal work contractors and various industrial sectors.
apprentice sheet metal worker, sheet metal fabricator, sheet metal mechanic, sheet metal worker, tinsmith.
- Read engineering and architectural drawings, sketches and work specifications to be performed, and lay out, measure and mark sheet metal according to drawings or templates
- Develop patterns for sheet metal using computer-assisted design and drafting (CAD) software package
- Operate light metalworking machines such as shears, brakes, punches, and drill presses, including computer numerical control (CNC) equipment to cut, bend, punch, drill, shape or straighten sheet metal
- Operate computerized laser or plasma cutting equipment to cut sheet metal
- Install and use rigging and hoisting equipment
- Fit and join sheet metal parts using riveting, welding, soldering and similar equipment to fabricate products such as ventilation shafts, exhaust hoods, eavestroughs, partition frames, air and heat ducts, material handling systems, roof decking and sheet metal buildings
- Install sheet metal products according to specifications and building codes
- Grind and buff seams, joints and rough surfaces
- Inspect product quality and installation to ensure conformance to specifications.
Sheet metal workers may specialize in on-site installation or shop manufacture of sheet metal products, or servicing and maintenance of installed equipment and systems.
Outlook & Prospects for Sheet Metal Workers in North Shore Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Provincial Employment Potential Information
The following table identifies employment conditions within Nova Scotia.
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Annapolis Valley Region||2011-06-21|
|Cape Breton Region||2011-05-16|
|North Shore Region||2011-06-16|
Labour Market Bulletins
An analysis of the local labour market and an assessment of local employment-related events.
Provincial / Territorial Labour Market News
Week of May 06 – May 10, 2013
- Cape Breton, Truro, and especially New Glasgow are experiencing problems with economic growth, job loss, and/or population decreases since the recession, according to the Conference Board of Canada
- Three Guysborough county community groups will receive infrastructure funding from the federal government
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- Armco Capital Inc. expects to begin work on a subdivision near McCabe Lake in Middle Sackville in May 2013
- Construction is expected to begin in the spring or early summer of 2013 on a new recreational and competitive rowing centre on Lochaber Lake
- Marinus Verhagen Enterprises Ltd. will begin building an asbestos disposal facility in McLellans Brook this spring and open it later in 2013
- The federal government will contribute to infrastructure projects in Cape Breton, including work on community centres, fire halls, and trails
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
Week of Apr 08 – Apr 12, 2013
- Date Modified: