Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Supervisors in this unit group supervise and co-ordinate the activities of railway and yard locomotive engineers, railway yard workers and railway labourers. They are employed by railway transport companies.
railway transport operations supervisor, road foreman/woman, freight train, stationmaster, trainmaster, yard foreman/woman – railway, yardmaster – railway.
- Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of workers who operate trains, drive locomotives in railway yards and perform other duties related to railway operations
- Establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate work activities with other units
- Resolve work problems and recommend measures to improve performance
- Requisition materials and supplies
- Train staff in job duties, safety procedures and company policy
- Recommend personnel actions such as hiring and promotions
- Prepare work reports.
Outlook & Prospects for Supervisors, Railway Transport Operations in North Shore Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|North Shore Region||2011-06-16|
Currently the chances of Supervisors in Railway Transportation finding employment are limited because only a small number of people in this occupation are employed in the local area. Opportunities are limited locally because there is only one railway, Cape Breton and Central Nova Scotia Railway short line and regional railroad and one railway maintenance company (refer to potential employers) with a presence in this area. Via Rail Canada provides passenger service for Nova Scotia while the Canadian National Railway Company (CN) provides freight service, neither have offices in the local area. For detailed information about careers in the Canadian railway industry visit www.careerontrack.ca. or the Railway Association of Canada at www.railcan.ca.
Although employment opportunities locally are limited, opportunities may exist in other areas of the province or in other regions of the country. People who are able to work elsewhere may want to research opportunities for this occupation in other labour markets within Nova Scotia and across the country. The future employment outlook for Supervisors in Railway Transportation in Nova Scotia is expected to be fair over the next 5 years.
Additional information on Supervisors in Railway Transportation (opportunities in other areas, training, who hires, current job openings, statistics and other information), is available on other parts of this web site.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Jun 03 – Jun 07, 2013
Week of May 27 – May 31, 2013
- Perry Lake Developments has begun work on Stewiacke River Crossing in Stewiacke. After completion of the residential first phase in July, further residential and commercial development will be added.
- The Farm Services retail store in Scotsburn, scheduled to close in June, will reopen in July under new ownership
Week of May 20 – May 24, 2013
- Pure Energy Solutions Canada Inc. has closed its rechargeable battery plant in Amherst. About 20 workers will lose their jobs.
Week of May 06 – May 10, 2013
- Pictou Lodge is expected to reopen in late May 2013 under new ownership. The seasonal hotel, which had employed about 60 workers, had gone into receivership over the winter.
- Three Guysborough county community groups will receive infrastructure funding from the federal government
- The Lobster Bar, a restaurant, will open in Pictou in June 2013
- Date Modified: