Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Supervisors in this unit group supervise and co-ordinate the activities of railway and yard locomotive engineers, railway yard workers and railway labourers. They are employed by railway transport companies.
railway transport operations supervisor, road foreman/woman, freight train, stationmaster, trainmaster, yard foreman/woman – railway, yardmaster – railway.
- Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of workers who operate trains, drive locomotives in railway yards and perform other duties related to railway operations
- Establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate work activities with other units
- Resolve work problems and recommend measures to improve performance
- Requisition materials and supplies
- Train staff in job duties, safety procedures and company policy
- Recommend personnel actions such as hiring and promotions
- Prepare work reports.
Outlook & Prospects for Supervisors, Railway Transport Operations in North Shore Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|North Shore Region||(1 of 3 stars)||2011-06-16|
Currently the chances of Supervisors in Railway Transportation finding employment are limited because only a small number of people in this occupation are employed in the local area. Opportunities are limited locally because there is only one railway, Cape Breton and Central Nova Scotia Railway short line and regional railroad and one railway maintenance company (refer to potential employers) with a presence in this area. Via Rail Canada provides passenger service for Nova Scotia while the Canadian National Railway Company (CN) provides freight service, neither have offices in the local area. For detailed information about careers in the Canadian railway industry visit www.careerontrack.ca. or the Railway Association of Canada at www.railcan.ca.
Although employment opportunities locally are limited, opportunities may exist in other areas of the province or in other regions of the country. People who are able to work elsewhere may want to research opportunities for this occupation in other labour markets within Nova Scotia and across the country. The future employment outlook for Supervisors in Railway Transportation in Nova Scotia is expected to be fair over the next 5 years.
Additional information on Supervisors in Railway Transportation (opportunities in other areas, training, who hires, current job openings, statistics and other information), is available on other parts of this web site.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Nov 18 - Nov 22, 2013
- Scotsburn Dairy will stop processing milk at its Stellarton facility in January, and the 10 employees affected will take jobs at the company¿s growing ice cream facility in Truro. Scotsburn will keep its distribution centre in Stellarton, where 29 people work, and its milk processing facility in Sydney.
- Authentic Seacoast Brewing Co. in Guysborough hopes to double its workforce of 20 if a distillery is added to its craft beer brewing operation by the end of 2014. The company continues to increase its beer production as well.
- Heritage Gas is currently extending its natural gas distribution network to the New Glasgow area, with a pipeline to the pulp mill in Abercrombie Point. However, further expansion in the area will only come with a commitment from more customers.
- Outside and recreational workers employed by the town of Truro have a new four-year contract, which will include raises as well as changes to vacation time, sick days, and hours of work.
- East Coast Energy Inc. will explore for natural gas in Pictou County over the next 30 to 40 days
- Giant Tiger will open a store in the former Zellers location in the Amherst Centre Mall in June 2014
- Giant Tiger will open in New Glasgow on November 16, employing about 30 people
- Construction is expected to begin within two weeks on a 60-unit apartment complex on the former West Side School site in New Glasgow
- Several new businesses have opened or expanded on South Albion Street in Amherst recently, including Bordertown Flowers and Frills, Hunter Interiors, and D.R. Polly Used Cars Ltd
- Date Modified: