Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Family, marriage and other related counsellors assist individuals and groups of clients to identify, understand and overcome personal problems and achieve personal objectives. They are employed by counselling centres, social service agencies, group homes, government agencies, family therapy centres, and health care and rehabilitation facilities, or they may work in private practice.
addictions counsellor, bereavement counsellor, child and youth counsellor, family counsellor, marriage counsellor, registered clinical counsellor, registered marriage and family therapist, rehabilitation counsellor, sex therapist, vocational rehabilitation counsellor.
- Interview clients, prepare case histories and assess problems
- Conduct vocational testing and psychometric assessment
- Develop and implement counselling and intervention programs to assist clients in determining goals and means of attaining them
- Counsel clients, provide therapy and mediation services, and facilitate group sessions
- Liaise with community agencies or partners, and identify additional or alternative services and provide referrals
- Evaluate the effectiveness of counselling programs and interventions, and clients' progress in resolving identified problems and movement toward defined objectives
- Follow up on results of counselling programs and clients' adjustments
- Prepare assessment, progress, follow-up and court reports
- May supervise other counsellors, social service staff and assistants
- May provide public education and consultation to other professionals or groups regarding counselling services, issues and methods
- May provide witness testimony in court proceedings
- May conduct research, publish research papers, educational texts and articles and deliver presentations at conferences.
- May participate in fundraising activities.
Family, marriage and other related counsellors often specialize in dealing with a specific client group such as injured workers, or with specific problems, such as drug and alcohol addiction, marital difficulties or behavioural disorders.
Wages for Family, Marriage and Other Related Counsellors in North Shore Region
Wages depend on job requirements and work conditions. They also vary between regions, for reasons such as location, labour agreements, and the availability of workers. The wages below are estimated before taxes.
|Newfoundland and Labrador||16.50||21.73||31.45||Note|
|Prince Edward Island||18.02||24.90||31.11||Note|
- Date Modified: