Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Financial and investment analysts collect and analyze financial information such as economic forecasts, trading volumes and the movement of capital, financial backgrounds of companies, historical performances and future trends of stocks, bonds and other investment instruments to provide financial and investment or financing advice for their company or their company's clients. Their studies and evaluations cover areas such as takeover bids, private placements, mergers or acquisitions. Financial analysts are employed by a wide range of establishments throughout the private and public sector, such as banks, brokerage houses, insurance companies, investment companies, manufacturing firms, trust companies, utility companies and underwriting firms. Investment analysts are employed primarily by brokerage houses and trust companies.
chartered financial analyst, financial analyst, investment analyst, money market analyst, portfolio manager, research associate, financial services.
- Evaluate financial risk, prepare financial forecasts, financing scenarios and other documents concerning capital management, and write reports and recommendations
- Plan short- and long-term cash flows and assess financial performance
- Analyze investment projects
- Advise on and participate in the financial aspects of contracts and calls for tender
- Follow up on financing projects with financial backers
- Develop, implement and use tools for managing and analyzing financial portfolio
- Prepare a regular risk profile for debt portfolios
- Assist in preparing operating and investment budgets.
- Collect financial and investment information about companies, stocks, bonds and other investments using daily stock and bond reports, economic forecasts, trading volumes, financial periodicals, securities manuals, company financial statements and other financial reports and publications
- Examine and analyze financial and investment information collected, including profiles of companies, stock and bond prices, yields and future trends and other investment information
- Provide investment advice and recommendations to clients, senior company officials, pension fund managers, securities agents and associates
- Prepare company, industry and economic outlooks, analytical reports, briefing notes and correspondence.
Outlook & Prospects for Financial and Investment Analysts in North Shore Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|North Shore Region||2011-06-07|
Currently the chances of qualified Financial and Investment Analysts finding employment are considered to be fair in the local area. There are people employed locally in this occupation but it is a relatively small number because these functions tend to be carried out at the main headquarters of businesses and institutions, which are mostly located in larger areas elsewhere. Opportunities for self-employment may also exist. The available labour supply would be limited due to job requirements, such as, investment reporting experience, an educational background beyond a University degree and an applicable designation. Excellent organizational, analytical, and communication skills are required. A Chartered Financial Analyst designation is available through the CFA institute, www.cfainstitute.org.
In addition to employment opportunities locally, opportunities may exist in other areas of the province or in other regions of the country. People who are able to work elsewhere may want to research opportunities for this occupation in other labour markets within Nova Scotia and across the country. The future employment outlook for Financial and Investment Analysts in Nova Scotia is expected to be fair over the next 5 years.
Additional information on Financial and Investment Analysts (opportunities in other areas, training, who hires, current job openings, statistics and other information), is available on other parts of this web site.
- Date Modified: