Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Fishing vessel skippers and fishermen/women operate fishing vessels to pursue and land fish and other marine life. They are usually self-employed owner-operators of fishing vessels.
fisherman/woman, fishing vessel skipper, inshore fisherman/woman, lobster fisherman/woman, longliner fisherman/woman, seiner fisherman/woman.
- Operate fishing vessel to pursue and catch fish and other marine life
- Select area for fishing, plot courses and compute navigational positions using compass, charts and other aids
- Steer vessel and operate navigational instruments
- Operate fishing gear, direct fishing operation and supervise fishing crew members
- Maintain engine, fishing gear and other on-board equipment
- Record fishing activities, weather and sea conditions
- Estimate costs of operations and plan budget for each fishing season
- Establish fish marketing plan and keep records of all financial transactions
- May transport fish to processing plants or fish buyers.
Outlook & Prospects for Fishing Vessel Skippers and Fishermen/women in Saint John--St. Stephen Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Saint John--St. Stephen Region||N/A||N/A|
- Date Modified: