Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Petroleum, gas and chemical process operators monitor and operate petroleum, petrochemical and chemical plants and monitor, adjust and maintain processing units and equipment in these plants. They are employed by petroleum and natural gas processing, pipeline and petrochemical companies, industrial, agricultural and specialty chemical and pharmaceutical companies.
acid plant operator, cell room operator, chlor-alkali plant, chemical process operator, chief operator – chemical processing, fractionator operator, gas field operator, gas plant operator, gas recovery operator, lead operator – chemical processing, liquefaction plant operator, master operator – chemical processing, panel operator – chemical processing, petroleum process operator, pharmaceutical processing operator, pipeline compressor station operator, process technician, refinery operator, senior operating technician, senior operator – chemical processing.
- Operate electronic or computerized control panel from a central control room to monitor and optimize physical and chemical processes for several processing units
- Control process start-up, shut-down and troubleshooting
- Monitor outside process equipment
- Adjust equipment, valves, pumps and controls and process equipment
- Authorize or co-sign maintenance work orders
- Shut down, isolate and prepare process units or production equipment for maintenance
- Sample products, perform tests, record data, carry out statistical process control on process operations, and write production logs
- Develop operator procedures for normal operation, start-up or shut-down of unit
- Participate in safety audits and programs and provide emergency response when required
- Ensure adherence to safety and environmental regulations
- May rotate between different processing units during shift cycles
- May work in a team with shared supervisory responsibilities and participate in training other workers
- May be cross-trained in a skilled trade and work in the trade during shift cycles.
Outlook & Prospects for Petroleum, Gas and Chemical Process Operators in Campbellton--Miramichi Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Provincial Employment Potential Information
The following table identifies employment conditions within New Brunswick.
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Edmundston--Woodstock Region||<Not assigned>||2011-05-26|
|Saint John--St. Stephen Region||N/A||N/A|
Labour Market Bulletins
An analysis of the local labour market and an assessment of local employment-related events.
Provincial / Territorial Labour Market News
Week of May 06 – May 10, 2013
- The Minister of Energy and Mines announced that Trevali Mining Corporation was given approval to operate its Caribou Mine located near Bathurst. It is expected to result in several hundred new jobs for the region. Trevali has begun hiring technical personnel and placing orders for components of the mill.
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- The provincial and federal governments announced funding in the amount of $775,000 for Heveco, a company that harvests peat moss in Tabusintac NB. The funding will primarily be used to purchase new equipment to improve productivity at the operation.
Week of Apr 08 – Apr 12, 2013
- A new mill built by PotashCorp in Penobsquis N.B. will be completed in June. When finished, the mill is expected to process up to 1.8 million tonnes of potash per year from the new Picadilly mine. The mine is expected to open next year creating 250 full-time jobs.
Week of Apr 01 – Apr 05, 2013
- The development of the Halfmile Mine and Caribou Mine and mill in the Chaleur Region near Bathurst owned by Trevali Mining Corporation will begin shortly. The mine is expected to open in early 2014. The company hopes to benefit from the pool of workers created by the closure of the Xtrata Zinc Brunswick this month. About 500 applications from local miners, mill workers and others are currently being reviewed by the company. About 200 to 250 jobs will open up.
- Date Modified: