Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Labourers in this unit group perform clean-up, packaging, material handling and other elemental activities related to fish processing. They are employed in fish processing and packaging plants.
cannery labourer, fish briner, fish plant labourer, fish salter, fish weigher, shellfish labourer, shellfish packer.
- Unload fish and shellfish from fishing vessels and transport them by hand or forklift truck to work area in fish processing plant
- Immerse fresh fish fillets in brine solution to condition them for wrapping or freezing
- Weigh fish or shellfish, record weight and pack fish in ice
- Sort fish according to species, weight and destination
- Clean work areas and equipment
- Transport supplies and packaging materials throughout plant and storage area manually or with powered equipment
- Measure and dump ingredients into hoppers of mixing and grinding machines.
Outlook & Prospects for Labourers in Fish Processing in Vancouver Island and Coast Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Vancouver Island and Coast Region||N/A||N/A|
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Nov 25 - Nov 29, 2013
- Jawl Properties has announced plans to construct a new 3,600 sq.-ft. physiotherapy clinic at Mattick¿s Farm. The company expects construction to occur between July 2014 and January 2015.
- Approximately 400 people pre-registered for a job fair in Victoria on November 7. More than 40 employers were seeking entry-level and semi-skilled workers. A similar fair attracted 1,000 job-seekers last year.
- Retail giant Cabela¿s Canada plans to open a 50,000-sq.-ft. store in Nanaimo next fall that will employ 150 full-time, part-time, and seasonal staff.
- Date Modified: