Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Labourers in this unit group perform clean-up, packaging, material handling and other elemental activities related to fish processing. They are employed in fish processing and packaging plants.
cannery labourer, fish briner, fish plant labourer, fish salter, fish weigher, shellfish labourer, shellfish packer.
- Unload fish and shellfish from fishing vessels and transport them by hand or forklift truck to work area in fish processing plant
- Immerse fresh fish fillets in brine solution to condition them for wrapping or freezing
- Weigh fish or shellfish, record weight and pack fish in ice
- Sort fish according to species, weight and destination
- Clean work areas and equipment
- Transport supplies and packaging materials throughout plant and storage area manually or with powered equipment
- Measure and dump ingredients into hoppers of mixing and grinding machines.
Outlook & Prospects for Labourers in Fish Processing in Vancouver Island and Coast Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Vancouver Island and Coast Region||N/A||N/A|
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Feb 24 - Feb 28, 2014
- Victoria's St. Mary's Hospital is starting construction on new heliport gates. The helipad has been closed since 2010, resulting in patients requiring an airlift to be transported to Wilson Creek airport.
- Due to rising acidity in the ocean, BC business are expecting continued layoffs as shellfish are dying prior to harvesting. Island Scallops has had to lay off one-third of its workforce due to the lack of shellfish.
- Seaspan has been awarded the $15M contract to construct a new 78.5m cable ferry; to run between Buckley Bay and Denman Island. Construction will begin in June and complete in early 2015.
- Sunridge Place has sold its residential care home in Duncan to Park Place Seniors Living. As a result of the change in ownership, 264 unionized employees have received layoff notices including nurses, aides, and activity workers.
- Mount Washington, a ski resort on Vancouver Island, is reopening after receiving a significant snowfall. The resort was forced to close after only 14 days of operation in January due to a lack of snow.
- Date Modified: