Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Grocery clerks and store shelf stockers pack customers' purchases, price items, stock shelves with merchandise and fill mail and telephone orders. They are employed in retail establishments, such as grocery, hardware and department stores, and in warehouses.
bag clerk, grocery clerk, grocery packer, order filler – retail, price clerk – retail, produce clerk, shelf stocker – retail, supermarket clerk.
- Bag, box or parcel purchases for customers or for shipment or delivery to customers
- Carry customers' purchases to parking lot and pack in vehicles
- Unpack products received by store and count, weigh or sort items
- Use barcode scanning equipment to record incoming stock, verify pricing and maintain computerized stock inventory
- Price items using stamp or stickers according to price list
- Attach protective devices to products to protect against shoplifting
- Stock shelves and display areas and keep stock clean and in order
- Fill mail orders from warehouse stock
- Obtain articles for customers from shelf or stockroom
- Direct customers to location of articles sought
- May sweep aisles, dust display racks and perform other general cleaning duties
- May operate cash register and computer for electronic commerce transactions
- May order stock.
Outlook & Prospects for Grocery Clerks and Store Shelf Stockers in Vancouver Island and Coast Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Vancouver Island and Coast Region||2010-01-13|
Compared to other occupations, this is a relatively large occupational group with a number of job opportunities occurring when workers change occupations, employers or retire.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Mar 11 – Mar 15, 2013
Week of Feb 04 – Feb 08, 2013
- U.S.-based Target will be opening its Nanaimo North Town Centre store in May and is expected to hire approximately 140 staff
Week of Dec 10 – Dec 14, 2012
- The Walmart store in Courtenay is expanding to become a supercentre establishment, 90 additional sales associates have been hired
Week of Sep 17 – Sep 21, 2012
- Date Modified: