Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Bakers prepare bread, rolls, muffins, pies, pastries, cakes and cookies in retail and wholesale bakeries and dining establishments. They are employed in bakeries, supermarkets, catering companies, hotels, restaurants, hospitals, and other institutions, or they may be self-employed. Bakers who are supervisors are included in this unit group.
- Prepare dough for pies, bread and rolls and sweet goods, and prepare batters for muffins, cookies, cakes, icings and frostings according to recipes or special customer orders
- Operate machinery
- Bake mixed doughs and batters
- Frost and decorate cakes or other baked goods
- Ensure quality of products meets established standards
- Draw up production schedule to determine type and quantity of goods to produce
- Purchase baking supplies
- May oversee sales and merchandising of baked goods
- May hire, train and supervise baking personnel and kitchen staff.
Outlook & Prospects for Bakers in Vancouver Island and Coast Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Vancouver Island and Coast Region||N/A||N/A|
Local Labour Market News
Week of Jun 03 – Jun 07, 2013
- Quality Foods is recruiting 75 to 100 staff for a new grocery store scheduled to open in Langford in in May 2014. The company currently employs 1,000 people in 11 stores on Vancouver Island.
Week of May 13 – May 17, 2013
- Fewer bookings at the Victoria Conference Centre a troubling trend for the local hospitality and retail sectors which rely on the centre to generate business
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- An ABC Country Restaurant in Saanich was destroyed by a fire on April 11, putting 25 people out of work. The owners are making efforts to place the affected employees in other restaurants in the community.
Week of Mar 25 – Mar 29, 2013
- Date Modified: