Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Bakers prepare bread, rolls, muffins, pies, pastries, cakes and cookies in retail and wholesale bakeries and dining establishments. They are employed in bakeries, supermarkets, catering companies, hotels, restaurants, hospitals, and other institutions, or they may be self-employed. Bakers who are supervisors are included in this unit group.
- Prepare dough for pies, bread and rolls and sweet goods, and prepare batters for muffins, cookies, cakes, icings and frostings according to recipes or special customer orders
- Operate machinery
- Bake mixed doughs and batters
- Frost and decorate cakes or other baked goods
- Ensure quality of products meets established standards
- Draw up production schedule to determine type and quantity of goods to produce
- Purchase baking supplies
- May oversee sales and merchandising of baked goods
- May hire, train and supervise baking personnel and kitchen staff.
Outlook & Prospects for Bakers in Vancouver Island and Coast Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Vancouver Island and Coast Region||N/A||N/A|
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Jan 27 - Jan 31, 2014
- Retail giant Cabela¿s Canada plans to open a 50,000-sq.-ft. store in Nanaimo next fall that will employ 150 full-time, part-time, and seasonal staff.
- Quality Foods is recruiting 75 to 100 staff for a new grocery store scheduled to open in Langford in in May 2014. The company currently employs 1,000 people in 11 stores on Vancouver Island.
- Fewer bookings at the Victoria Conference Centre a troubling trend for the local hospitality and retail sectors which rely on the centre to generate business
- Date Modified: