Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Bakers prepare bread, rolls, muffins, pies, pastries, cakes and cookies in retail and wholesale bakeries and dining establishments. They are employed in bakeries, supermarkets, catering companies, hotels, restaurants, hospitals, and other institutions, or they may be self-employed. Bakers who are supervisors are included in this unit group.
- Prepare dough for pies, bread and rolls and sweet goods, and prepare batters for muffins, cookies, cakes, icings and frostings according to recipes or special customer orders
- Operate machinery
- Bake mixed doughs and batters
- Frost and decorate cakes or other baked goods
- Ensure quality of products meets established standards
- Draw up production schedule to determine type and quantity of goods to produce
- Purchase baking supplies
- May oversee sales and merchandising of baked goods
- May hire, train and supervise baking personnel and kitchen staff.
Outlook & Prospects for Bakers in Vancouver Island and Coast Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Provincial Employment Potential Information
The following table identifies employment conditions within British Columbia.
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Lower Mainland - Southwest Region||N/A||N/A|
|North Coast Region||N/A||N/A|
|Vancouver Island and Coast Region||N/A||N/A|
Additional Provincial Prospects
Visit the Provincial Job Futures for information on the current trends and the future outlook for occupations in this province or territory. This Web site is a joint effort of the federal, provincial and territorial governments. You can view a report specific to this occupation on: Provincial Job Futures - (Employment Prospects section) Web Site.
Labour Market Bulletins
An analysis of the local labour market and an assessment of local employment-related events.
Provincial / Territorial Labour Market News
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- The Manning Park Ski Resort that was scheduled to close on April 1, 2013 has been sold to a new owner who hopes to retain the existing 15 employees and hire more people
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- In late June 2013, Mountain Equipment Co-op is opening a store in Langley that will employ 25 people, including five senior staff. The 16,000 sq.-ft. outdoor goods store will be MEC’s fourth in BC and 17th in Canada.
- An ABC Country Restaurant in Saanich was destroyed by a fire on April 11, putting 25 people out of work. The owners are making efforts to place the affected employees in other restaurants in the community.
- Penny Land Bargain Outlets, a non-profit retailer of liquidated goods in Summerland, will close on May 31, 2013 due to sluggish sales. The charity shop, which raised funds for youth organizations, employs three full-time and several part-time workers.
Week of Apr 08 – Apr 12, 2013
Week of Apr 01 – Apr 05, 2013
- Date Modified: