Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Veterinary and animal health technologists and technicians provide technical support to veterinarians by caring for animals and assisting in the diagnosis and treatment of animal health disorders. They are employed in veterinary clinics, animal hospitals, animal shelters, humane societies, zoos, animal research laboratories, pharmaceutical companies and government.
animal health technologist, laboratory animal technician, veterinarian assistant, veterinary technician, veterinary technologist.
- Provide nursing care and rehabilitation therapy for animals
- Handle, restrain and care for animals undergoing treatment and surgery
- Produce radiographs, collect samples and perform other laboratory tests to assist in diagnosis of animal health problems
- Assist veterinarian with animals before, during and following surgery, and by preparing surgical equipment, administering and monitoring anaesthetics and cleaning up after surgery
- Prepare and administer medications and vaccines under direction of veterinarian
- Administer treatments as prescribed by a veterinarian
- Provide wound and bandage care
- Conduct specialized procedures such as animal identification and hoof trimming
- Counsel clients on animal health care including nutrition and home care
- Conduct and assist in laboratory research
- Perform routine animal dental procedures, and assist veterinarians with animal dentistry
- May perform a variety of office management and clerical duties.
Outlook & Prospects for Veterinary and Animal Health Technologists and Technicians in Vancouver Island and Coast Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Vancouver Island and Coast Region||N/A||N/A|
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Dec 02 - Dec 06, 2013
- Microsoft has closed its Victoria game design studio, which had been open for less than two years, resulting in job loss for at least 30 employees. The company is centralizing development at its Vancouver studios.
- Jawl Properties has announced plans to construct a new 3,600 sq.-ft. physiotherapy clinic at Mattick¿s Farm. The company expects construction to occur between July 2014 and January 2015.
- Approximately 400 people pre-registered for a job fair in Victoria on November 7. More than 40 employers were seeking entry-level and semi-skilled workers. A similar fair attracted 1,000 job-seekers last year.
- Date Modified: