Local Employment Requirements
Although truck drivers require no formal education, some employers prefer those who have a Grade 12 education.
Local Skills Requirements
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG) Certificate
- Workplace Hazardous Material Information System (WHMIS) Certificate
- Basic computer skills
- Driver's licence - Class 1, 3, or 5 with air brakes
- Good health and vision
- Interpersonal skills
- Good judgment and reflexes
- The ability to remain alert
- Basic command of the English language
- Mechanical ability to make minor repairs
- Medical exam
- Eligibility for bonding
- Drug and alcohol test
- Eye-sight and hearing test
- Criminal record check
- First aid
- Driver's abstract
There are often specific abilities, aptitudes and knowledge that are prerequisites to obtain employment in an occupation.
Most employers who advertise are looking for workers who have the following experience and skills:
Operate and drive straight or articulated trucks to transport goods and materials. Receive and relay information to central dispatcher. Loading and unloading of goods.
Professionalism in customer service.
Detailed profiles, requirements and application and admissions information.
- CEGEPs, Colleges and Universities
Find the school that best suits your needs.
Information on scholarships, bursaries, grants, and other forms of financial assistance.