Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Graphic designers conceptualize and produce graphic art and visual materials to effectively communicate information for publications, advertising, films, packaging, posters, signs and interactive media such as Web sites and CD-ROMs. They are employed by advertising and graphic design firms, by establishments with advertising or communications departments and by multimedia production companies, or they may be self-employed. Graphic designers who are also supervisors, project managers or consultants are included in this unit group. Illustrators conceptualize and create illustrations to represent information through images. They are almost solely self-employed.
advertising designer, animator – animated films, cartoonist, commercial artist, cybergraphic designer, graphic artist, graphic designer, graphic designer – multimedia, graphic designer – multimedia, interactive or new media, illustrator, layout designer, medical illustrator, multimedia illustrator, scientific illustrator.
- Consult with clients to establish the overall look, graphic elements and content of communications materials in order to meet their needs
- Determine the medium best suited to produce the desired visual effect and the most appropriate vehicle for communication
- Develop the graphic elements that meet the clients' objectives
- Prepare sketches, layouts and graphic elements of the subjects to be rendered using traditional tools, multimedia software and image processing, layout and design software
- Estimate cost of materials and time to complete graphic design
- Use existing photo and illustration banks and typography guides or hire an illustrator or photographer to produce images that meet clients' communications needs
- Establish guidelines for illustrators or photographers
- Co-ordinate all aspects of production for print, audio-visual or electronic materials, such as Web sites, CD-ROMs, interactive terminals, etc.
- Co-ordinate sub-contracting
- Work in a multidisciplinary environment
- Supervise other graphic designers or graphic arts technicians.
- Consult with clients to determine the nature and content of illustrations in order to meet their communications needs
- Develop and produce realistic or representational sketches and final illustrations, by hand or using computer-assisted design (CAD) software, for printed materials such as books, magazines, packaging, greeting cards, stationery, etc.
- Assist in developing storyboards for electronic productions such as multimedia, interactive and digital products, television advertising and productions, etc.
- Produce 2-D and 3-D animated drawings or computer illustrations
- May adapt existing illustrations.
Illustrators may specialize in a particular field such as illustrations for children, advertising, editorials, humour, or medical, scientific or technical illustration, or multimedia design.
Abbotsford, Burnaby, Coquitlam, Richmond, Surrey, Vancouver, Chilliwack, Langley, New Westminster, North Vancouver, Port Coquitlam, Port Moody, White Rock, Gibsons, Mission, Aldergrove, Brunswick Beach, Crescent, Crescent Beach, Cultus Lake, Elgin, Fort Langley, Grandview, Lions Bay, McMillan Island, Ocean Park, South Surrey, Sunnyside, Willoughby
Outlook & Prospects for Graphic Designers and Illustrators in Lower Mainland - Southwest Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Lower Mainland - Southwest Region||N/A||N/A|
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Nov 04 - Nov 08, 2013
- Vancouver¿s Gener8 Media Corp. will be hiring 80 new technology and studio employees by January 2014, as a result of an agreement with a Chinese production firm. Gener8 specializes in 3D stereophonic conversion for film and television.
- German software firm SAP is seeking six people with autism to work as software testers in Vancouver by early 2014. SAP is being assisted by Denmark firm Specialisterne, whose focus is finding jobs for autistic people and training employees and managers on how to interact with autistic colleagues.
- Gener8, one of four 3D film conversion companies in the world, plans to recruit 80 new employees from BC colleges and universities by January 2014. The Vancouver company currently has 150 staff and has worked on blockbusters such as Ironman 3, The Amazing Spiderman, and Harry Potter.
- Industry demand for mobile applications developers is high, according to the chief technology officer at Conquer Mobile in Vancouver. The field demands strong problem-solving skills, adaptability, and a passion for learning. For a list of mobile app companies in Vancouver, visit www.techvibes.com/company-directory/vancouver/tag/mobile
- Vancouver software developer Hootsuite held a hiring fair on October 8 to fill 100 positions in a variety of occupations. The company currently employs 370 people.
- Disney-owned Pixar has closed its Pixar Canada animation studio in Vancouver and laid off about 100 employees. The company will be consolidating production work in California to save costs.
- Date Modified: