Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Receptionists and switchboard operators greet people arriving at offices, hospitals and other establishments, direct visitors to appropriate person or service, answer and forward telephone calls, take messages, schedule appointments and perform other clerical duties. They are employed by hospitals, medical and dental offices and in other offices throughout the public and private sectors.
admitting clerk, answering service operator, business receptionist, dental receptionist, front desk clerk (except hotel), hospital admitting clerk, medical receptionist, reception clerk, receptionist, switchboard operator, telereceptionist.
- Receptionists greet people coming into offices and other establishments, direct them to the appropriate contacts or services, and provide information in person and by phone and may perform clerical duties and maintain front desk security and security access lists.
- Hospital admitting clerks interview patients to obtain and process information required to provide hospital and medical services.
- Medical and dental receptionists greet patients, schedule appointments, using manual or computerized systems, receive and record payment for services, and direct patients to appropriate areas.
- Switchboard operators operate a telephone system or switchboard to answer, screen and forward telephone calls, taking messages and providing information as required; and may perform clerical duties.
- Answering service operators answer telephones and record and relay messages.
- Front desk clerks in a variety of institutional and commercial settings direct customers to appropriate areas, record bookings, handle credit card checks, receive payment, issue receipts, arrange tour reservations and deal with emergency situations.
Abbotsford, Burnaby, Coquitlam, Richmond, Surrey, Vancouver, Chilliwack, Langley, New Westminster, North Vancouver, Port Coquitlam, Port Moody, White Rock, Gibsons, Mission, Aldergrove, Brunswick Beach, Crescent, Crescent Beach, Cultus Lake, Elgin, Fort Langley, Grandview, Lions Bay, McMillan Island, Ocean Park, South Surrey, Sunnyside, Willoughby
Outlook & Prospects for Receptionists and Switchboard Operators in Lower Mainland - Southwest Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Lower Mainland - Southwest Region||N/A||N/A|
Local Labour Market News
Week of May 27 – May 31, 2013
- Extremely poor housing affordability in Vancouver area still weighs heavily on homebuyer demand, according to RBC’s May 2013 Housing Trends and Affordability report
- Large defense contracts have been awarded to Weatherhaven in Burnaby and MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates in Richmond for portable repair shelters for helicopters and satellite image technology
Week of May 13 – May 17, 2013
- Over 300 Richmond IKEA employees were locked out by their employer on May 13 after rejecting concession demands in a collective agreement proposal. No talks are scheduled between the two parties.
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- The Corporation of Delta is hosting its first Trades & Technical Career Fair on May 8, 2013. The event is geared to Delta high school students.
Week of Mar 18 – Mar 22, 2013
- Approximately 15 full-time employees will be out of work when the Manning Park Resort closes permanently on April 1, 2013. The ski resort, situated east of Hope, has experienced financial difficulties since 2009.
- Date Modified: