Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Receptionists and switchboard operators greet people arriving at offices, hospitals and other establishments, direct visitors to appropriate person or service, answer and forward telephone calls, take messages, schedule appointments and perform other clerical duties. They are employed by hospitals, medical and dental offices and in other offices throughout the public and private sectors.
admitting clerk, answering service operator, business receptionist, dental receptionist, front desk clerk (except hotel), hospital admitting clerk, medical receptionist, reception clerk, receptionist, switchboard operator, telereceptionist.
- Receptionists greet people coming into offices and other establishments, direct them to the appropriate contacts or services, and provide information in person and by phone and may perform clerical duties and maintain front desk security and security access lists.
- Hospital admitting clerks interview patients to obtain and process information required to provide hospital and medical services.
- Medical and dental receptionists greet patients, schedule appointments, using manual or computerized systems, receive and record payment for services, and direct patients to appropriate areas.
- Switchboard operators operate a telephone system or switchboard to answer, screen and forward telephone calls, taking messages and providing information as required; and may perform clerical duties.
- Answering service operators answer telephones and record and relay messages.
- Front desk clerks in a variety of institutional and commercial settings direct customers to appropriate areas, record bookings, handle credit card checks, receive payment, issue receipts, arrange tour reservations and deal with emergency situations.
Abbotsford, Burnaby, Coquitlam, Richmond, Surrey, Vancouver, Chilliwack, Langley, New Westminster, North Vancouver, Port Coquitlam, Port Moody, White Rock, Gibsons, Mission, Aldergrove, Brunswick Beach, Crescent, Crescent Beach, Cultus Lake, Elgin, Fort Langley, Grandview, Lions Bay, McMillan Island, Ocean Park, South Surrey, Sunnyside, Willoughby
Outlook & Prospects for Receptionists and Switchboard Operators in Lower Mainland - Southwest Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Lower Mainland - Southwest Region||N/A||N/A|
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Feb 17 - Feb 21, 2014
- The Joseph and Rosalie Segal Family Health Centre has received $1.5M in funding from Taseko Mines Ltd. Construction on the $84.5M centre is expected to begin in October and will be completed by May 2017.
- Cellar Jazz Club, Vancouver¿s only full-time jazz club, is closing its doors. The club, which has been included on Downbeat Magazine¿s list of the top jazz clubs in the world, is considering re-opening in a new downtown location.
- Gener8 Digital Media Corp, a Vancouver-based company that converts movies from 2D to 3D has doubled its number of staff, from 100 to 200, since October 2013. The company expects to hire 40 to 50 additional employees by the end of March.
- Sony Pictures Imageworks will be moving a number of staff from its Los Angeles office to its Vancouver studio. The affected staff are primarily in software development occupations.
- After being on hold for years, the Killarney seniors center has recently been approved for 33% of the $7.5M cost. Before construction can begin, the centre requires an additional $1.2M of funding.
- Date Modified: