Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Labourers in this unit group remove excess metal and unwanted materials from metal parts, castings and other metal products and perform other labouring activities. They are employed in structural steel, boiler and platework fabrication plants, heavy machinery manufacturing plants, sheet metal fabrication shops, shipbuilding and other metal products manufacturing companies.
chipper-grinder, forge helper, grinder-deburrer, labourer – metal fabrication, metal cleaner, metalworking machine helper, plater helper, shipfitter helper, shotblaster, wheelabrator operator.
- Read and interpret work orders
- Operate metal cleaning equipment such as wheelabrators, deburrers and shotblasters to remove excess welds, rust, scale and other material from surfaces of metal parts, castings and other metal products
- Polish metal products to mirror finish
- Immerse metal products in cleaning solutions
- Assist structural steel and platework fitters, sheet metal workers, metalworking machine operators or other metal workers
- Transport raw materials and finished metal products manually or using hoists or other devices
- Sort metal sheets and parts, scrap metal and other materials
- Clean work areas and equipment
- Load and unload vehicles using hand truck or dolly
- May cut, grind or chip excess metal from metal products using hand tools.
Outlook & Prospects for Labourers in Metal Fabrication in Annapolis Valley Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Annapolis Valley Region||2011-06-22|
Currently the chances of Labourers in Metal Fabrication finding employment are limited because only a small number of people in this occupation are employed in the local area.
Although employment opportunities locally are limited, opportunities may exist in other areas of the province or in other regions of the country. People who are able to work elsewhere may want to research opportunities for this occupation in other labour markets within Nova Scotia and across the country. The future employment outlook for Labourers in Metal Fabrication in Nova Scotia is expected to be fair over the next 5 years.
Additional information on Labourers in Metal Fabrication (opportunities in other areas, training, who hires, current job openings, statistics and other information), is available on other parts of this web site.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Jun 03 – Jun 07, 2013
- A virus that has affected strawberries in the Annapolis Valley will cause more than 100 seasonal job losses
Week of Apr 01 – Apr 05, 2013
- Eat Barbecue Diner has hired three new employees since it was opened to replace the Cocoa Pesto Bistro in Windsor in February 2013
- The Trail Shop, an outdoor equipment business, will close out its Wolfville location at the end of the month
Week of Mar 25 – Mar 29, 2013
- A sea cadet training contract in the Cornwallis Park will result in employment for about 180 workers for 10 weeks over each of the next there summers
- Bell Aliant will continue to expand and connect more customers to its fibre-optic technology throughout Nova Scotia, with work planned for the Annapolis Valley in 2013
Week of Feb 11 – Feb 15, 2013
- Berwick experienced a busy 2012 construction season in the downtown core, with the building of a new drugstore, property upgrades, and other commercial renovations
- Date Modified: