Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Labourers in this unit group remove excess metal and unwanted materials from metal parts, castings and other metal products and perform other labouring activities. They are employed in structural steel, boiler and platework fabrication plants, heavy machinery manufacturing plants, sheet metal fabrication shops, shipbuilding and other metal products manufacturing companies.
chipper-grinder, forge helper, grinder-deburrer, labourer – metal fabrication, metal cleaner, metalworking machine helper, plater helper, shipfitter helper, shotblaster, wheelabrator operator.
- Read and interpret work orders
- Operate metal cleaning equipment such as wheelabrators, deburrers and shotblasters to remove excess welds, rust, scale and other material from surfaces of metal parts, castings and other metal products
- Polish metal products to mirror finish
- Immerse metal products in cleaning solutions
- Assist structural steel and platework fitters, sheet metal workers, metalworking machine operators or other metal workers
- Transport raw materials and finished metal products manually or using hoists or other devices
- Sort metal sheets and parts, scrap metal and other materials
- Clean work areas and equipment
- Load and unload vehicles using hand truck or dolly
- May cut, grind or chip excess metal from metal products using hand tools.
Outlook & Prospects for Labourers in Metal Fabrication in Annapolis Valley Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Annapolis Valley Region||(1 of 3 stars)||2011-06-22|
Currently the chances of Labourers in Metal Fabrication finding employment are limited because only a small number of people in this occupation are employed in the local area.
Although employment opportunities locally are limited, opportunities may exist in other areas of the province or in other regions of the country. People who are able to work elsewhere may want to research opportunities for this occupation in other labour markets within Nova Scotia and across the country. The future employment outlook for Labourers in Metal Fabrication in Nova Scotia is expected to be fair over the next 5 years.
Additional information on Labourers in Metal Fabrication (opportunities in other areas, training, who hires, current job openings, statistics and other information), is available on other parts of this web site.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Nov 18 - Nov 22, 2013
- Nova Scotia Tourism will move from Halifax to Windsor at the end of November. According to the provincial government, 18 of the 37 employees have opted to retire or take transfers to other departments, and the agency is working on filling the remaining positions.
- The Shand House Museum in Windsor will reopen by June for the 2014 tourist season, after remaining closed in 2013 due to a lack of staff. A heritage interpreter has been hired, and three more people will be added and trained before the opening.
- The Pearson Peacekeeping Centre in Cornwallis, which conducted research and training to wide-ranging personnel, is closing its doors. The work of the centre, which employed 12 people in recent years, will now be done in Ottawa.
- Blueberry producer Rainbow Farms Ltd. and the associated processing plant Misty Blue Ltd. in Upper Rawdon will go out of business after declaring bankruptcy. The business employed between 12 to 30 people annually, and was unable to recover from a large drop in blueberry prices in 2007.
- The apple crop is undergoing a normal harvest in the Annapolis Valley, and there have been no reports of severe labour shortages so far. The problem of labour shortages is usually attacked through a combination of foreign workers and local pickers.
- Pro-Farm Energy, an Ontario-based company, is seeking to lease land from local farmers in Hants and Annapolis counties beginning in 2015 to grow elephant grass to produce power at a biomass plant in Hantsport. About 70 full- and part-time workers will be hired to tend and harvest the crops.
- Date Modified: