Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Plasterers apply finish, and maintain and restore plaster or similar materials, on interior and exterior walls, ceilings and building partitions to produce plain or decorative surfaces. Drywall installers and finishers install and finish drywall sheets and various types of ceiling systems. Lathers install support framework for ceiling systems, interior and exterior walls and building partitions. They are employed by construction companies and by plastering, drywalling and lathing contractors, or they may be self-employed.
acoustical ceiling installer, ceiling installer, drywall applicator, drywall finisher, drywall installer and finisher apprentice, drywall taper, interior systems mechanic, lather, lather apprentice, plasterer, plasterer apprentice, sheetrock applicator, wood lather.
- Clean and prepare surfaces
- Mix plaster ingredients in trough to desired consistency
- Apply, level and smooth coats of plaster using trowels, floats, brushes and spraying equipment
- Trowel or spray coats of stucco over exteriors of buildings to form weatherproof surfaces
- Finish corners and angles and create decorative designs in finish coat, if required
- Cure freshly plastered surfaces
- Mould and install ornamental plaster panels, cornices and trim
- Spray acoustic materials or texture finish over walls and ceilings.
- Measure, cut and fit drywall sheets for installation on walls and ceilings
- Position and secure sheets to metal or wooden studs or joists
- Cut and install metal corner beads to protect exterior corners
- Fill joints, nail indentations, holes and cracks with joint compound using trowel and broad knife
- Tape over joints using taping machine and embed tape in compound
- Smooth out excess compound and allow coat to dry
- Apply successive coats of compound and sand seams and joints
- Fabricate and install suspended metal ceiling grids and place in panels to form acoustical and coffered ceilings.
- Prepare wall and ceiling layouts
- Install metal stud framing and furring for interior drywall or plaster walls and ceilings, using hand and power tools
- Attach metal or gypsum lath to studs or furring using nails, screws, clips or wire ties
- Cut openings in lath for heating and ventilation piping, ducts and electrical outlets
- Install corner beads and wire mesh around beams to which plaster is to be applied
- May install acoustic tile, hangers for suspended ceilings and metal studs for composition wallboard or lath.
Outlook & Prospects for Plasterers, Drywall Installers and Finishers and Lathers in Annapolis Valley Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Provincial Employment Potential Information
The following table identifies employment conditions within Nova Scotia.
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Annapolis Valley Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2011-06-21|
|Cape Breton Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2011-05-16|
|Halifax Region||(3 of 3 stars)||2011-10-28|
|North Shore Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2011-06-16|
|Southern Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2011-09-12|
Labour Market Bulletins
An analysis of the local labour market and an assessment of local employment-related events.
- October 2013 | (PDF, 547 KB)
- September 2013 | (PDF, 240 KB)
- August 2013 | (PDF, 447 KB)
- July 2013 | (PDF, 515 KB)
- June 2013 | (PDF, 436 KB)
- May 2013 | (PDF, 446 KB)
- April 2013 | (PDF, 317 KB)
- March 2013 | (PDF, 234 KB)
- February 2013 | (PDF, 436 KB)
- January 2013 | (PDF, 294 KB)
- Annual Edition 2012 | (PDF, 414 KB)
Provincial / Territorial Labour Market NewsWeek of Nov 25 - Nov 29, 2013
- A 3,600-square-foot welcome centre will be built on the Acadia University campus in Wolfville. Construction is expected to last from the spring to the fall of 2014.
- Toronto-based Harbour Isle Halifax Inc. will build a 27,000-square-foot commercial-residential building in the spring as part of the Magazine Landing development near Wrights Cove in Dartmouth. A 12-storey residential tower should be completed around the same time, and the developer hopes to eventually add two similar 16-storey towers and perhaps a hotel.
- Lange¿s Rock Farm of Maplewood has obtained a $499,990 contract to complete one of the phases of the seawall on the Northwest Arm in the Halifax Regional municipality
- According to the Atlantic Provinces Economic Council, the provincial economy will grow by 2% in 2014. Increased natural gas production, a healthy Halifax construction market, the Irving shipbuilding project, possible increased exports to the United States, and possible activity on the Maritime Link and Yarmouth ferry projects are noted as positive factors.
- Date Modified: