Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Plasterers apply finish, and maintain and restore plaster or similar materials, on interior and exterior walls, ceilings and building partitions to produce plain or decorative surfaces. Drywall installers and finishers install and finish drywall sheets and various types of ceiling systems. Lathers install support framework for ceiling systems, interior and exterior walls and building partitions. They are employed by construction companies and by plastering, drywalling and lathing contractors, or they may be self-employed.
acoustical ceiling installer, ceiling installer, drywall applicator, drywall finisher, drywall installer and finisher apprentice, drywall taper, interior systems mechanic, lather, lather apprentice, plasterer, plasterer apprentice, sheetrock applicator, wood lather.
- Clean and prepare surfaces
- Mix plaster ingredients in trough to desired consistency
- Apply, level and smooth coats of plaster using trowels, floats, brushes and spraying equipment
- Trowel or spray coats of stucco over exteriors of buildings to form weatherproof surfaces
- Finish corners and angles and create decorative designs in finish coat, if required
- Cure freshly plastered surfaces
- Mould and install ornamental plaster panels, cornices and trim
- Spray acoustic materials or texture finish over walls and ceilings.
- Measure, cut and fit drywall sheets for installation on walls and ceilings
- Position and secure sheets to metal or wooden studs or joists
- Cut and install metal corner beads to protect exterior corners
- Fill joints, nail indentations, holes and cracks with joint compound using trowel and broad knife
- Tape over joints using taping machine and embed tape in compound
- Smooth out excess compound and allow coat to dry
- Apply successive coats of compound and sand seams and joints
- Fabricate and install suspended metal ceiling grids and place in panels to form acoustical and coffered ceilings.
- Prepare wall and ceiling layouts
- Install metal stud framing and furring for interior drywall or plaster walls and ceilings, using hand and power tools
- Attach metal or gypsum lath to studs or furring using nails, screws, clips or wire ties
- Cut openings in lath for heating and ventilation piping, ducts and electrical outlets
- Install corner beads and wire mesh around beams to which plaster is to be applied
- May install acoustic tile, hangers for suspended ceilings and metal studs for composition wallboard or lath.
Outlook & Prospects for Plasterers, Drywall Installers and Finishers and Lathers in Annapolis Valley Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Provincial Employment Potential Information
The following table identifies employment conditions within Nova Scotia.
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Annapolis Valley Region||2011-06-21|
|Cape Breton Region||2011-05-16|
|North Shore Region||2011-06-16|
Labour Market Bulletins
An analysis of the local labour market and an assessment of local employment-related events.
Provincial / Territorial Labour Market News
Week of May 06 – May 10, 2013
- Cape Breton, Truro, and especially New Glasgow are experiencing problems with economic growth, job loss, and/or population decreases since the recession, according to the Conference Board of Canada
- Three Guysborough county community groups will receive infrastructure funding from the federal government
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- Armco Capital Inc. expects to begin work on a subdivision near McCabe Lake in Middle Sackville in May 2013
- Construction is expected to begin in the spring or early summer of 2013 on a new recreational and competitive rowing centre on Lochaber Lake
- Marinus Verhagen Enterprises Ltd. will begin building an asbestos disposal facility in McLellans Brook this spring and open it later in 2013
- The federal government will contribute to infrastructure projects in Cape Breton, including work on community centres, fire halls, and trails
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
Week of Apr 08 – Apr 12, 2013
- Date Modified: