Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Construction estimators analyze costs of and prepare estimates on civil engineering, architectural, structural, electrical and mechanical construction projects. They are employed by residential, commercial and industrial construction companies and major electrical, mechanical and trade contractors, or they may be self-employed.
chief estimator – construction, construction estimator, cost estimator – construction, principal estimator – construction, professional quantity surveyor, quantity surveyor – construction.
- Prepare estimates of probable costs of materials, labour and equipment for construction projects based on contract bids, quotations, schematic drawings and specifications
- Advise on tendering procedures, examine and analyze tenders, recommend tender awards and conduct negotiations
- Establish and maintain tendering process and set up cost monitoring and reporting systems and procedures
- Prepare cost and expenditure statements and forecasts at regular intervals for the duration of a project
- Prepare and maintain a directory of suppliers, contractors and subcontractors
- Liaise, consult and communicate with engineers, architects, owners, contractors and subcontractors, and prepare economic feasibility studies on changes and adjustments to cost estimates
- Manage and co-ordinate construction projects and prepare construction progress schedules.
Estimators may specialize in estimating costs for structural, electrical or mechanical construction projects.
Outlook & Prospects for Construction Estimators in Annapolis Valley Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Annapolis Valley Region||2011-10-06|
Currently the chances of qualified Construction Estimators finding employment are considered to be fair in the local area.
Construction estimators often have backgrounds in civil technology. Knowledge of estimating software is often as asset in gaining employment. Some construction estimators are owner operators of small construction companies.
In addition to employment opportunities locally, opportunities may exist in other areas of the province or in other regions of the country. People who are able to work elsewhere may want to research opportunities for this occupation in other labour markets within Nova Scotia and across the country. The future employment outlook for Construction Estimators in Nova Scotia is expected to be fair over the next 5 years.
Additional information on Construction Estimators (opportunities in other areas, training, who hires, current job openings, statistics and other information), is available on other parts of this web site.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Feb 11 – Feb 15, 2013
- Berwick experienced a busy 2012 construction season in the downtown core, with the building of a new drugstore, property upgrades, and other commercial renovations
Week of Sep 17 – Sep 21, 2012
- Date Modified: