Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Silviculture and forestry workers perform a variety of duties related to reforestation and to the management, improvement and conservation of forest lands. They are employed by logging companies, contractors and government services.
clearing saw operator, forest firefighter, forestry crew worker, forestry worker, pieceworker – silviculture, scarification equipment operator, silviculture worker, spacing saw operator, thinning saw operator.
- Assess site, select seedlings and plant trees using manual planting tools in reforestation areas
- Operate power thinning saw to thin and space trees in reforestation areas
- Operate chain saw to thin young forest stands
- Control weeds and undergrowth in regenerating forest stands using manual tools and chemicals
- Complete firefighting reports and maintain firefighting equipment
- Dig trenches, cut trees, pump water on burning areas to fight forest fires under direction of fire suppression officer or forestry technician
- Operate and maintain a skidder, bulldozer or other prime mover to pull a variety of scarification or site preparation equipment over areas to be regenerated
- Perform other silviculture duties such as collecting seed cones, pruning trees, assisting in planting surveys and marking trees for subsequent operations.
Outlook & Prospects for Silviculture and Forestry Workers in Camrose--Drumheller Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Local Labour Market News
Week of May 06 – May 10, 2013
- Gibson Energy will be adding 500,000 barrels of crude oil storage to it's Hardisty tank farm by mid-2014
Week of Apr 29 – May 03, 2013
- Brooks Asphalt and Concrete has been awarded a $2M contract for paving and construction by the Town of Stettler
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- BBC Contractors won the bid to construct the $1.6M Carseland Lagoon earthworks and piping modifications
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- Lakeland College is cutting programs and services at the Vermilion and Lloydminster campuses for the 2013-2014 school year. It is estimated that 43 permanent jobs will be eliminated.
- The Alberta Health Services closure of the long-term facility at Strathmore Hospital will affect 19 employees
- Date Modified: