Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes excavating, grading, paving, drilling and blasting contractors who own and operate their own business. This unit group also includes supervisors who supervise and co-ordinate the activities of workers classified in the following unit groups: <i>Crane Operators</i> (7371), <i>Drillers and Blasters – Surface Mining, Quarrying and Construction</i> (7372), <i>Heavy Equipment Operators (Except Crane)</i> (7421), <i>Longshore Workers</i> (7451), <i>Material Handlers</i> (7452), <i>Public Works Maintenance Equipment Operators</i> (7422), <i>Railway Track Maintenance Workers</i> (7432) and <i>Water Well Drillers</i> (7373). They are employed in a wide range of establishments; places of employment are indicated in the above unit group descriptions.
excavating contractor, foreman/woman, demolition, foreman/woman, drilling and blasting – construction, foreman/woman, logging road construction, foreman/woman, railway gang, foreman/woman, railway track maintenance, paving contractor, pipeline construction supervisor, road maintenance foreman/woman, section foreman/woman, railway, supervisor, heavy equipment operators, supervisor, oil field construction, supervisor, water well drilling, track foreman/woman – railway.
- Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of workers who operate cranes and construction, paving, drilling, railway maintenance and other similar heavy equipment
- Establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate work activities with other project supervisors or managers
- Requisition materials and supplies
- Resolve work problems and recommend measures to improve productivity
- Train or arrange for training of workers
- Recommend personnel actions such as hirings and promotions
- Prepare production and other reports
- May manage the operations of own company
- May also supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of related apprentices, helpers and labourers.
Outlook & Prospects for Contractors and Supervisors, Heavy Construction Equipment Crews in Camrose--Drumheller Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Provincial Employment Potential Information
The following table identifies employment conditions within Alberta.
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Athabasca--Grande Prairie--Peace River Region||<Not assigned>||2010-03-25|
|Banff--Jasper--Rocky Mountain House Region||N/A||N/A|
|Lethbridge--Medicine Hat Region||N/A||N/A|
|Red Deer Region||2009-12-09|
|Wood Buffalo--Cold Lake Region||N/A||N/A|
Labour Market Bulletins
An analysis of the local labour market and an assessment of local employment-related events.
Provincial / Territorial Labour Market News
Week of May 06 – May 10, 2013
- TransCanada Corporation is spending $900M to build a new pipeline from Edmonton to Hardisty
- Costco Wholesale Canada is building a new store in St. Albert. The store is the first part of a large regional commercial development for the area
- The Derrick Golf and Winter Club in Edmonton is spending $12M to develop its golf course and club facilities
- Gibson Energy will be adding 500,000 barrels of crude oil storage to it's Hardisty tank farm by mid-2014
Week of Apr 29 – May 03, 2013
- The Government of Alberta is investing $503M over three years for the construction of 22 new and replacement schools in high growth communities throughout the province. The first new schools are expected to be opened in 2016.
- Craton Construction Inc. and Dezota Construction Inc. are hiring for the Blackspring Ridge Wind Power Project in southern Alberta
- The Calgary Zoo will be spending $162M over the next 20 years on upgrades and new facilities
- Kal-Tire is moving its planned $25M tire plant from Regina to the Edmonton area
- Construction has started on Shell Place in Fort McMurray
- Brooks Asphalt and Concrete has been awarded a $2M contract for paving and construction by the Town of Stettler
- Richardson Bros. Ltd., of Olds, has been awarded a $4.6M contract for road work in Mountain View County
- The City of Grande Prairie is spending $700,000 to upgrade the Muskoseepi Park Pavilion
- Alberta Transportation is spending $8.8M for highway upgrades between Lethbridge and Coaldale over the summer
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- The Medicine River Wildlife Centre is starting construction on a new education centre and wildlife hospital; it is expected to be completed by 2014.
- BBC Contractors won the bid to construct the $1.6M Carseland Lagoon earthworks and piping modifications
- Construction will begin shortly on the new $3.7M gym for Hugh Sutherland School in Carstairs
- The Town of Cochrane will begin construction on the $1.4M first phase of Riverfront Park by fall of 2013
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- STEPS Bridgeland, a new inner city condo development in Calgary, will begin construction in the fall of 2013
- The Town of Banff is spending $960,000 to upgrade its water system
- The Ponoka Agricultural Event Centre Society has received $50,000 in funding to developing the Calnash Ag Event Centre
- Infrastructure contracts have been awarded to Al-Terra Engineering and Border Paving for work in the Town of Sylvan Lake
- South Rock Ltd. is to begin construction of the Dunmore Road overpass in Medicine Hat on April 29, 2013
- Ground breaking for the new Quad Ball Diamond Facility in Brooks occurred on April 15, 2013
- The Town of Innisfail will begin Phase 2 of its downtown revitalization project on May 6, 2013
- Brookfield Residential is launching an inner city housing development in Calgary. The project is expected to be completed in early 2014.
- The Municipal District of Willow Creek has received funding for construction of a wireless internet tower
- Two more warehouses will be completed in the Stoney Industrial Centre in northeast Calgary within the next few months
- Date Modified: