Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes excavating, grading, paving, drilling and blasting contractors who own and operate their own business. This unit group also includes supervisors who supervise and co-ordinate the activities of workers classified in the following unit groups: <i>Crane Operators</i> (7371), <i>Drillers and Blasters – Surface Mining, Quarrying and Construction</i> (7372), <i>Heavy Equipment Operators (Except Crane)</i> (7421), <i>Longshore Workers</i> (7451), <i>Material Handlers</i> (7452), <i>Public Works Maintenance Equipment Operators</i> (7422), <i>Railway Track Maintenance Workers</i> (7432) and <i>Water Well Drillers</i> (7373). They are employed in a wide range of establishments; places of employment are indicated in the above unit group descriptions.
excavating contractor, foreman/woman, demolition, foreman/woman, drilling and blasting – construction, foreman/woman, logging road construction, foreman/woman, railway gang, foreman/woman, railway track maintenance, paving contractor, pipeline construction supervisor, road maintenance foreman/woman, section foreman/woman, railway, supervisor, heavy equipment operators, supervisor, oil field construction, supervisor, water well drilling, track foreman/woman – railway.
- Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of workers who operate cranes and construction, paving, drilling, railway maintenance and other similar heavy equipment
- Establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate work activities with other project supervisors or managers
- Requisition materials and supplies
- Resolve work problems and recommend measures to improve productivity
- Train or arrange for training of workers
- Recommend personnel actions such as hirings and promotions
- Prepare production and other reports
- May manage the operations of own company
- May also supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of related apprentices, helpers and labourers.
Outlook & Prospects for Contractors and Supervisors, Heavy Construction Equipment Crews in Camrose--Drumheller Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Provincial Employment Potential Information
The following table identifies employment conditions within Alberta.
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Athabasca--Grande Prairie--Peace River Region||<Not assigned>||2010-03-25|
|Banff--Jasper--Rocky Mountain House Region||N/A||N/A|
|Lethbridge--Medicine Hat Region||N/A||N/A|
|Red Deer Region||(1 of 3 stars)||2009-12-09|
|Wood Buffalo--Cold Lake Region||N/A||N/A|
Labour Market Bulletins
An analysis of the local labour market and an assessment of local employment-related events.
- November 2013 | (PDF, 534 KB)
- October 2013 | (PDF, 657 KB)
- September 2013 | (PDF, 235 KB)
- August 2013 | (PDF, 438 KB)
- July 2013 | (PDF, 487 KB)
- June 2013 | (PDF, 445 KB)
- May 2013 | (PDF, 240 KB)
- April 2013 | (PDF, 294 KB)
- March 2013 | (PDF, 437 KB)
- February 2013 | (PDF, 241 KB)
- January 2013 | (PDF, 435 KB)
- Annual Edition 2012 | (PDF, 227 KB)
Provincial / Territorial Labour Market NewsWeek of Nov 25 - Nov 29, 2013
- The proposed Kinder Morgan TransMountain pipeline is expected to create up to 900 jobs for the Edson region. If the pipeline is approved by the National Energy Board, construction is expected to occur between 2016 and 2018.
- Remington Development Corporation is building a 32-unit condominium complex, called the Gates, as part of the Quarry Park project in Calgary. Remington is also planning a 200-room business hotel, and a 300-space child-care facility for the site.
- The Government of Alberta and the Tsuu T'ina Nation have signed a Transportation and Utility Corridor Agreement that allows for a land transfer in exchange for funds. The land transfer will permit construction of the southwest leg of the Calgary Ring Road.
- Viterra is investing over $34M in two grain handling facilities in Alberta. Construction of a new high throughput grain terminal near Grimshaw will begin this fall and storage capacity to the terminal in Grassy Lake will more than double by 2014.
- Suncor Energy Inc. and Strathcona County are partnering to build a new water main for Suncor's refinery in Sherwood Park. The $5M line will provide the refinery with an emergency back-up water source.
- A new residential subdivision with 350-housing units is planned for the Town of Peace River
- The City of Edmonton is planning $168M in infrastructure improvements starting in 2015 to alleviate flooding in parts of the city
- The Government of Alberta will spend more than $80M to repair or replace houses damaged by flooding on the Siksika Nation
- The Government of Alberta has announced over $37M in new funding, under the Flood Recovery Erosion Control program, for bank stabilization of rivers and creeks, and other mitigation work
- The Canadian Welding Bureau has started construction on a training, certification and testing facility in Nisku
- The Government of Alberta is moving ahead with the Medicine Hat Detoxification and Residential Treatment Centre. Construction is expected to start in July 2014, with the building opening in late 2015.
- Brookfield Office properties has broken ground on the 56-storey Brookfield Place Calgary east tower. Construction is slated for completion in late 2017.
- BCM Developments has announced plans for the Edmontonian, a 71-storey office, condominium and hotel high-rise in downtown Edmonton. The building, designed to be the tallest in Western Canada, will be situated near the downtown arena project.
- Mount Royal University, located in Calgary, has received $85.6M from the Province of Alberta towards construction of the Riddell Library and Learning Centre. Construction is expected to begin in the spring of 2014, with the library opening in early 2017.
- The Holiday Inn in Canmore is expanding to add 99 more rooms, an indoor pool, and additional meetings rooms
- Cypress County is spending approximately $11M to construct regional water lines to the towns of Irvine and Walsh (available in French only)
- Date Modified: