Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes excavating, grading, paving, drilling and blasting contractors who own and operate their own business. This unit group also includes supervisors who supervise and co-ordinate the activities of workers classified in the following unit groups: <i>Crane Operators</i> (7371), <i>Drillers and Blasters – Surface Mining, Quarrying and Construction</i> (7372), <i>Heavy Equipment Operators (Except Crane)</i> (7421), <i>Longshore Workers</i> (7451), <i>Material Handlers</i> (7452), <i>Public Works Maintenance Equipment Operators</i> (7422), <i>Railway Track Maintenance Workers</i> (7432) and <i>Water Well Drillers</i> (7373). They are employed in a wide range of establishments; places of employment are indicated in the above unit group descriptions.
excavating contractor, foreman/woman, demolition, foreman/woman, drilling and blasting – construction, foreman/woman, logging road construction, foreman/woman, railway gang, foreman/woman, railway track maintenance, paving contractor, pipeline construction supervisor, road maintenance foreman/woman, section foreman/woman, railway, supervisor, heavy equipment operators, supervisor, oil field construction, supervisor, water well drilling, track foreman/woman – railway.
- Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of workers who operate cranes and construction, paving, drilling, railway maintenance and other similar heavy equipment
- Establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate work activities with other project supervisors or managers
- Requisition materials and supplies
- Resolve work problems and recommend measures to improve productivity
- Train or arrange for training of workers
- Recommend personnel actions such as hirings and promotions
- Prepare production and other reports
- May manage the operations of own company
- May also supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of related apprentices, helpers and labourers.
Outlook & Prospects for Contractors and Supervisors, Heavy Construction Equipment Crews in Camrose--Drumheller Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Provincial Employment Potential Information
The following table identifies employment conditions within Alberta.
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Athabasca--Grande Prairie--Peace River Region||<Not assigned>||2010-03-25|
|Banff--Jasper--Rocky Mountain House Region||N/A||N/A|
|Lethbridge--Medicine Hat Region||N/A||N/A|
|Red Deer Region||(1 of 3 stars)||2009-12-09|
|Wood Buffalo--Cold Lake Region||N/A||N/A|
Labour Market Bulletins
An analysis of the local labour market and an assessment of local employment-related events.
- February 2014 | (PDF, 610 KB)
- January 2014 | (PDF, 662 KB)
- December 2013 | (PDF, 536 KB)
- November 2013 | (PDF, 534 KB)
- October 2013 | (PDF, 657 KB)
- September 2013 | (PDF, 235 KB)
- August 2013 | (PDF, 438 KB)
- July 2013 | (PDF, 487 KB)
- June 2013 | (PDF, 445 KB)
- May 2013 | (PDF, 240 KB)
- April 2013 | (PDF, 294 KB)
- March 2013 | (PDF, 437 KB)
- February 2013 | (PDF, 241 KB)
- January 2013 | (PDF, 435 KB)
- Annual Edition 2012 | (PDF, 227 KB)
Provincial / Territorial Labour Market NewsWeek of Feb 24 - Feb 28, 2014
- The City of Lethbridge has approved a new pool basin and change rooms for the Henderson Lake Outdoor Swimming Pool. Construction is scheduled to start in August 2014 and be complete in 2015.
- BONE Structure, a steel building manufacturer, is adding three manufacturing plants in Alberta to its Canadian base over the next year
- The Stony Plain Outdoor Swimming Pool and the Chickakoo Lake Recreation Area have received funding for improvements from the Government of Canada
- Classic Construction is planning to begin construction in May 2014 on a skywalk connecting Chinook Village and Norwood Grande in Medicine Hat
- The Municipal District of Willow Creek has rezoned a parcel of land northwest of Nanton, allowing for the development of a proposed gravel pit operation
- BuildForce Canada is projecting that Alberta will lead the construction sector in Canada between 2014 and 2023, with the oil sands and residential construction sectors driving job growth
- Hermanos Holdings is constructing a $2.5M building in the Campbell Business Park in St. Albert. The building is expected to be complete in July 2014, but no tenants have been announced.
- Alberta Health Services has received funding for a helipad upgrade at the Banff Mineral Springs Hospital. Construction is expected to go to tender in the fall of 2014 and be complete by the next spring.
- The Kinship Park in Coaldale is slated for improvements and additions as a result of fundraising efforts by the local Kinsmen's Club
- Rebuilding of the dyke in the Benchlands area northwest of Cochrane, which was damaged in the 2013 floods, is expected to begin shortly
- The Municipal District of Smoky River is expected to start work on the $1.8M South Interceptor Peavine Creek Ditch Project south of Falher on July 3, 2014, with completion three months later
- NaturEner has amended its Wild Rose 1 wind energy project south of Walsh, reducing the number of towers but installing more powerful turbines. The company anticipates awarding a contract by February 28, 2014 with construction starting in late 2014.
- The City of Fort Saskatchewan has rezoned a parcel of land to allow for the construction of 170 homes in the South Pointe neighbourhood
- GWL Realty is planning to start construction in 2014 on a mixed-use industrial and commercial development, tentatively named Henday Common, in southwest St. Albert
- Trinidad Drilling will be building six new drilling rigs in 2014, with some of the work at its Nisku facility south of Edmonton. The company also plans to upgrade 30 rigs as part of its $315M capital program for 2014.
- Alberta Heat and Power LLC has filed an application with the Alberta Utilities Commission to construct a natural-gas fired electrical generating plant at the JBS Food Canada facility at Brooks, pending public input and review of the application
- The Bow River Lodge, in Canmore, is upgrading its fire protection system immediately, ahead of a major $8M expansion and modernization planned to start in the summer of 2014
- A $5.5M construction project to build two bridges on Highway 63 at Wandering River is expected to begin on March 3, 2014 and tentatively be complete by August 2014
- Parkland County will be hiring 3.16 full-time equivalents in 2014 as part of their road maintenance program
- The Town of Bonneyville has voted to back stop the construction of a spray park at Little Leap Park, in the event of a funding shortfall. Construction is scheduled to start in early April 2014.
- The Government of Alberta has announced that a new Catholic elementary school will be built in Lethbridge, but no timeline was released for the construction
- The City of Edmonton is seeing a surge in building permits, and the Edmonton Construction Association is gearing up for business growth and increased hiring of skilled labour
- The development group in charge of the Bow project in downtown Calgary are delaying construction of the second tower on the site, and opting for a public plaza instead
- Ledcor is beginning construction on the new $340M Royal Alberta Museum in downtown Edmonton, with completion scheduled for 2016
- The City of Airdrie has voted to proceed with construction of the new Williamstown Fire Hall
- The Government of Alberta is building three new schools in Edmonton and also expanding a high school to alleviate overcrowding
- The Government of Alberta is investing in the education sector in Calgary with recent announcements for 10 new school projects, the modernization of one school, and the transformation of buildings at Stampede Park into the Calgary Arts Academy
- Date Modified: