Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes workers who administer pre-hospital emergency medical care to patients with injuries or medical illnesses and transport them to hospitals or other medical facilities for further medical care. They are employed by private ambulance services, hospitals, fire departments, government departments and agencies, manufacturing firms, mining companies and other private sector establishments.
advanced care paramedic, ambulance attendant, critical care paramedic, emergency medical attendant (EMA), emergency medical care assistant, emergency medical responder, emergency medical technician (EMT), emergency medical technician, paramedic (EMT – P), emergency medical technologist, paramedic, paramedic, primary care paramedic, supervisor, ambulance services.
- Assess extent of injuries or medical illnesses of trauma victims, patients with respiratory disease and stress, overdose and poisoning victims, industrial accident victims and other ill or injured individuals to determine emergency medical treatment
- Administer pre-hospital emergency care, such as oxygen therapy, cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), spinal immobilization, bandaging and splinting, to patients
- Establish and maintain intravenous treatment (IV), apply adjunctive equipment for ventilation and circulation complications, administer medications and provide other advanced emergency treatment to patients
- Transport patients by air, land or water to hospital or other medical facility for further medical care
- Document and record nature of injuries and illnesses and treatment provided
- Assist hospital personnel with provision of medical treatment, if necessary
- Maintain ambulances and emergency care equipment and supplies
- May train and supervise other workers in this unit group
- May assist with triage of emergency patients.
Wages for Ambulance Attendants and Other Paramedical Occupations in Camrose--Drumheller Region
Wages depend on job requirements and work conditions. They also vary between regions, for reasons such as location, labour agreements, and the availability of workers. The wages below are estimated before taxes.
- Date Modified: