Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Lumber graders and other wood processing inspectors and graders inspect and grade lumber, shingles, veneer, waferboard and similar wood products to identify defects, ensure conformance to company specifications and classify products according to industry standards. They are employed by sawmills, planing mills, wood treatment plants, waferboard plants and other wood processing companies.
grader – wood processing, grader tallyman/woman – wood processing, lumber grader, particleboard grader – wood processing, plywood grader, plywood inspector, veneer grader, wood measurer.
- Examine lumber visually for knots, holes, splits and other defects and sort for further drying, trimming or remanufacturing
- Measure lumber using callipers, gauges and tape measures to ensure specified thickness, length and width
- Classify and sort lumber according to industry standards and stamp lumber to indicate grade, wood type, moisture level and other characteristics
- Tally lumber
- Complete and maintain reports.
- Inspect plywood panels, veneer sheets, panelboards, shingles and similar wood products visually for knots, holes, splits, straightness and other defects
- Mark defects and sort for repair or reprocessing
- Measure wood products to ensure conformance to specifications using standard measuring instruments
- Grade and label wood products according to quality standards
- Maintain and complete inspection and grading reports.
Wages for Lumber Graders and Other Wood Processing Inspectors and Graders in Edmonton Region
Wages depend on job requirements and work conditions. They also vary between regions, for reasons such as location, labour agreements, and the availability of workers. The wages below are estimated before taxes.
- Date Modified: