Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes instructors who teach applied arts, academic, technical and vocational subjects to students at community colleges, CEGEPs, agricultural colleges, technical and vocational institutes, language schools and other college level schools. This unit group also includes trainers who are employed by private training establishments, companies, community agencies and governments to deliver internal training or development courses. College teachers who are heads of departments are included in this group.
CEGEP teacher, college teacher, commercial art instructor, community college teacher, company trainer, computer training instructor, department chairperson – college, department head – CEGEP, firefighting instructor, language school instructor, teacher – institute of technology, teacher, legal assistant program, training officer – company, vocational institute teacher.
- Teach students using a systematic plan of lectures, demonstrations, discussion groups, laboratory work, shop sessions, seminars, case studies, field assignments and independent or group projects
- Develop curriculum and prepare teaching materials and outlines for courses
- Prepare, administer and mark tests and papers to evaluate students' progress
- Advise students on program curricula and career decisions
- Provide individualized tutorial/remedial instructions
- Supervise independent or group projects, field placements, laboratory work or hands-on training
- Supervise teaching assistants
- May provide consultation services to government, business and other organizations
- May serve on committees concerned with matters such as budgets, curriculum revision, and course and diploma requirements.
These instructors specialize in particular fields or areas of study such as visual arts, dental hygiene, welding, engineering technology, policing, computer software, management and early childhood education.
Outlook & Prospects for College and Other Vocational Instructors in Edmonton Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Provincial Employment Potential Information
The following table identifies employment conditions within Alberta.
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Athabasca--Grande Prairie--Peace River Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2010-05-18|
|Banff--Jasper--Rocky Mountain House Region||N/A||N/A|
|Edmonton Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2011-06-07|
|Lethbridge--Medicine Hat Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2009-05-28|
|Red Deer Region||N/A||N/A|
|Wood Buffalo--Cold Lake Region||N/A||N/A|
Labour Market Bulletins
An analysis of the local labour market and an assessment of local employment-related events.
- February 2014 | (PDF, 610 KB)
- January 2014 | (PDF, 662 KB)
- December 2013 | (PDF, 536 KB)
- November 2013 | (PDF, 534 KB)
- October 2013 | (PDF, 657 KB)
- September 2013 | (PDF, 235 KB)
- August 2013 | (PDF, 438 KB)
- July 2013 | (PDF, 487 KB)
- June 2013 | (PDF, 445 KB)
- May 2013 | (PDF, 240 KB)
- April 2013 | (PDF, 294 KB)
- March 2013 | (PDF, 437 KB)
- February 2013 | (PDF, 241 KB)
- January 2013 | (PDF, 435 KB)
- Annual Edition 2012 | (PDF, 227 KB)
Provincial / Territorial Labour Market NewsWeek of Feb 24 - Feb 28, 2014
- Construction has stalled on the new $10.5M Koinonia Christian School in Airdrie. The Board of Directors for the new school are hoping that the financial problems can be resolved and that students will be in the school starting in September 2014.
- Grande Prairie Regional College, in Grande Prairie, has recently been granted approval for a new two-year diploma program in Aboriginal Administration. Four new courses have been developed specifically for the program.
- Woodlands County has a substantial amount of bursaries and apprentice scholarships now available to eligible students. Applications are made through the County office.
- Canadian University College, based in Lacombe, will be offering a nursing program to its students after an agreement was signed with Red Deer College
- Keyano College in Fort McMurray and Acuren are partnering to offer a new program in non-destructive testing and inspection of pipelines
- King's University College in Edmonton is using $8.5M in donations to expand its existing Bachelor of Commerce program into a Christian school of business, starting on July 1, 2014
- Date Modified: