Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Licensed practical nurses provide nursing care usually under the direction of medical practitioners, registered nurses or other health team members. They are employed in hospitals, nursing homes, extended care facilities, rehabilitation centres, doctors' offices, clinics, companies, private homes and community health centres. Operating room technicians are included in this unit group.
certified nursing assistant (CNA), licensed nursing assistant, licensed practical nurse (L.P.N.), operating room technician, registered nursing assistant (R.N.A.), registered practical nurse (R.P.N.).
- Provide nursing services, within defined scope of practice, to patients based on patient assessment and care planning procedures
- Perform nursing interventions such as taking vital signs, applying aseptic techniques including sterile dressing, ensuring infection control, monitoring nutritional intake and conducting specimen collection
- Administer medication and observe and document therapeutic effects
- Provide pre-operative and post-operative personal and comfort care
- Monitor established respiratory therapy and intravenous therapy
- Monitor patients' progress, evaluate effectiveness of nursing interventions and consult with appropriate members of healthcare team
- Provide safety and health education to individuals and their families.
- Prepare patients for surgery by washing, shaving and sterilizing the patients' operative areas
- Assist in surgery by laying out instruments, setting up equipment, assisting surgical teams with gowns and gloves and passing instruments to surgeons
- Clean and sterilize the operating room and instruments.
Outlook & Prospects for Licensed Practical Nurses in Edmonton Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
The employment potential is good for licensed practical nurses in Alberta. With an ageing population in the province, demand for registered nurses will continue to rise.
The occupation is termed "significant" due to the relatively high concentration of people working in this occupation within this geographic area.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Apr 01 – Apr 05, 2013
- Strike notice served at west Edmonton seniors facility, where employees work without a collective agreement since December 2011
Week of Mar 25 – Mar 29, 2013
- Good Samaritan Society has laid off some staff and reduced the working hours of others at their long-term care centres around the province
Week of Mar 04 – Mar 08, 2013
- Forty-one health care workers in Edmonton have been given layoff notices as the province begins shutting down a 30-bed transitional unit at the Royal Alexandra Hospital
Week of Jul 30 – Aug 03, 2012
- Date Modified: