Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Veterinary and animal health technologists and technicians provide technical support to veterinarians by caring for animals and assisting in the diagnosis and treatment of animal health disorders. They are employed in veterinary clinics, animal hospitals, animal shelters, humane societies, zoos, animal research laboratories, pharmaceutical companies and government.
animal health technologist, laboratory animal technician, veterinarian assistant, veterinary technician, veterinary technologist.
- Provide nursing care and rehabilitation therapy for animals
- Handle, restrain and care for animals undergoing treatment and surgery
- Produce radiographs, collect samples and perform other laboratory tests to assist in diagnosis of animal health problems
- Assist veterinarian with animals before, during and following surgery, and by preparing surgical equipment, administering and monitoring anaesthetics and cleaning up after surgery
- Prepare and administer medications and vaccines under direction of veterinarian
- Administer treatments as prescribed by a veterinarian
- Provide wound and bandage care
- Conduct specialized procedures such as animal identification and hoof trimming
- Counsel clients on animal health care including nutrition and home care
- Conduct and assist in laboratory research
- Perform routine animal dental procedures, and assist veterinarians with animal dentistry
- May perform a variety of office management and clerical duties.
Outlook & Prospects for Veterinary and Animal Health Technologists and Technicians in Edmonton Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Local Labour Market News
Week of May 06 – May 10, 2013
- TransCanada Corporation is spending $900M to build a new pipeline from Edmonton to Hardisty
- Costco Wholesale Canada is building a new store in St. Albert. The store is the first part of a large regional commercial development for the area
- The Derrick Golf and Winter Club in Edmonton is spending $12M to develop its golf course and club facilities
Week of Apr 29 – May 03, 2013
- Capital Power has selected Genesee as the site for a natural gas powered electricity generating plant. Construction is planned to start in 2015.
- Kal-Tire is moving its planned $25M tire plant from Regina to the Edmonton area
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- Staff in some NAIT programs are being asked to consider leaving the institution through voluntary redundancy; approximately 36 vacant positions will not be filled
- McDonalds held its third annual National Hiring Day on Thursday. The company is seeking 300–400 employees in Edmonton and the surrounding area.
- Date Modified: