Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Educational counsellors advise current and prospective students on educational issues, career planning and personal development and co-ordinate the provision of counselling services to students, parents, teachers, faculty and staff. They are employed by school boards, universities and colleges, technical institutes, correctional facilities and government agencies.
academic counsellor, educational counsellor, guidance counsellor, school counsellor, student counsellor.
- Counsel students regarding educational issues such as course and program selection, time tables and scheduling, school adjustment, attendance problems and study skills
- Counsel students regarding career or vocational issues including career exploration and planning, résumé preparation, job interview skills and job search strategies and make available to them a wide range of educational and occupational information
- Counsel students regarding personal and social issues such as substance abuse, depression, sexuality, eating disorders, anxiety, self-esteem, family problems, relationship and interpersonal skills and anger management
- Counsel students in crisis situations such as dealing with the death of a friend or family member, suicidal tendencies and abuse situations
- Consult with teachers and parents or faculty and other professionals such as psychologists, speech therapists and social workers regarding various issues and concerns, and with administrators and community agencies regarding programs and referrals
- Co-ordinate co-op and school-to-work transition programs, and the provision of counselling and information services to students, parents, teachers, faculty and staff such as career information services, professional development sessions and interactions with other educational institutions
- Supervise peer counselling programs in school settings
- Administer and interpret standardized intelligence, personality, vocational, aptitude and interest tests
- Develop and co-ordinate study skills groups or workshops in colleges and universities on topics such as note-taking, test or examination anxiety and preparation strategies and time management skills
- Co-ordinate or participate in student orientation programs in colleges or universities
- Arrange for employers to recruit graduating college and university students, and students for co-op education work terms
- Visit colleges and secondary schools to provide academic information to prospective students, their parents and educational counsellors
- May supervise field experience for graduate students in counselling
- May teach regular classes.
Grande Prairie, Athabasca, Barrhead, Beaverlodge, Fairview, Falher, Fox Creek, Grande Cache, Grimshaw, High Level, High Prairie, Manning, Mayerthorpe, Peace River, Sexsmith, Slave Lake, Spirit River, Swan Hills, Valleyview, Wembley, Westlock, Whitecourt
Outlook & Prospects for Educational Counsellors in Athabasca--Grande Prairie--Peace River Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Provincial Employment Potential Information
The following table identifies employment conditions within Alberta.
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Athabasca--Grande Prairie--Peace River Region||N/A||N/A|
|Banff--Jasper--Rocky Mountain House Region||N/A||N/A|
|Lethbridge--Medicine Hat Region||N/A||N/A|
|Red Deer Region||N/A||N/A|
|Wood Buffalo--Cold Lake Region||N/A||N/A|
Labour Market Bulletins
An analysis of the local labour market and an assessment of local employment-related events.
Provincial / Territorial Labour Market News
Week of May 06 – May 10, 2013
- Lethbridge College reveals plan to cut programs and staff due to lack of provincial funding
- The Alberta government plans to invest $11M over three years to expand dual-credit program for high school students
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- The Calgary Catholic Immigration Society's oil and gas training programs have launched a fast-track power engineering training program
- Grande Prairie Regional College will host a career expo on April 30
- Grande Prairie Regional College recently laid off 27 employees
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- Lakeland College is cutting programs and services at the Vermilion and Lloydminster campuses for the 2013-2014 school year. It is estimated that 43 permanent jobs will be eliminated.
- Mount Royal University in Calgary will layoff 7 employees due to funding cuts in 2013
- Red Deer College is planning to reduced programs and staff as a result of a budget deficit for the upcoming school year
- Portage College in Lac La Biche will lay off 15 people. The school will also close its campus in Vegreville and halve the size of the Bonnyville campus.
- Staff in some NAIT programs are being asked to consider leaving the institution through voluntary redundancy; approximately 36 vacant positions will not be filled
Week of Apr 08 – Apr 12, 2013
- Samson Cree Nation pilot program for entrepreneurs started March 4, 2013
- Grande Prairie Regional College planning to spend $1.7M to expand its Hinton campus
- Hope College to launch in Drumheller in fall 2013
- Bow Valley College is offering new health care programs at its High River campus starting in May 2013
- University of Alberta worried that they may be forced to close Faculty of Arts due to budget cuts
- Date Modified: