Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Painters and decorators apply paint, wallpaper and other finishes to interior and exterior surfaces of buildings and other structures. They are employed by construction companies, painting contractors and building maintenance contractors, or they may be self-employed.
construction painter, maintenance painter, painter, painter and decorator, painter and decorator apprentice, paperhanger.
- Read specifications to determine quantities of materials required
- Prepare and clean surfaces using methods such as scraping, sanding, sandblasting, hydro-blasting and steam-cleaning; remove old wallpaper and loose paint; repair cracks and holes in walls; and sandpaper and apply sealer
- Mix and thin paint to obtain desired colour and texture
- Apply paint or other materials, such as stains, lacquer, enamel, oil, varnish, fibreglass, metal coating or fire retardant using brushes, rollers or spray equipment
- Measure, cut and apply wallpaper or fabric to walls
- Assemble and erect scaffolding and swing stages
- Advise customer on selection of colour schemes and choice of wall coverings
- May provide cost estimates to clients.
Outlook & Prospects for Painters and Decorators in Red Deer Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Red Deer Region||N/A||N/A|
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Sep 02 - Sep 06, 2013
- Construction of a new $5.5M strip mall in Penhold has been announced, with a completion date of early next year
- Central City Asphalt Ltd. has been awarded a $1.7M contract for paving projects in Red Deer County in 2013
- The Medicine River Wildlife Centre is starting construction on a new education centre and wildlife hospital; it is expected to be completed by 2014.
- The Ponoka Agricultural Event Centre Society has received $50,000 in funding to developing the Calnash Ag Event Centre
- Infrastructure contracts have been awarded to Al-Terra Engineering and Border Paving for work in the Town of Sylvan Lake
- The Town of Innisfail will begin Phase 2 of its downtown revitalization project on May 6, 2013
- Date Modified: