Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes roofing, masonry, painting and other construction trade contractors, not elsewhere classified, who own and operate their own business. Supervisors in this unit group supervise and co-ordinate the activities of various tradespersons, installers, repairers and servicers classified in the following minor groups: <i>Masonry and Plastering Trades</i> (728), <i>Other Construction Trades</i> (729) and <i>Other Installers, Repairers and Servicers</i> (744). They are employed by a wide range of establishments; places of employment are indicated in the unit group descriptions. This unit group also includes prefabricated product installation and service contractors and proprietors of some repair and service establishments.
bricklaying contractor, cement finishing contractor, foreman/woman, glaziers, foreman/woman, insulators, foreman/woman, plasterers, painting contractor, pest control supervisor, roofing contractor, supervisor, bicycle repair shop, supervisor, painters and decorators, supervisor, tilesetters.
- Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of construction workers engaged in bricklaying, roofing, cement finishing, tilesetting, plastering, drywall installation, glazing, insulating and painting, and workers who install and service prefabricated products in residential and commercial properties, as well as workers who repair a wide variety of products, such as musical instruments, sports equipment, vending machines, bicycles and cameras
- Establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate work activities with other subcontractors
- Resolve work problems and recommend measures to improve productivity and product quality
- Requisition materials and supplies
- Train workers in job duties, safety procedures and company policies
- Recommend personnel actions such as hirings and promotions
- Prepare work progress reports
- May manage the operations of own company
- May also supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of related apprentices, helpers and labourers.
Outlook & Prospects for Contractors and Supervisors, Other Construction Trades, Installers, Repairers and Servicers in Red Deer Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Provincial Employment Potential Information
The following table identifies employment conditions within Alberta.
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Athabasca--Grande Prairie--Peace River Region||N/A||N/A|
|Banff--Jasper--Rocky Mountain House Region||N/A||N/A|
|Lethbridge--Medicine Hat Region||N/A||N/A|
|Red Deer Region||N/A||N/A|
|Wood Buffalo--Cold Lake Region||N/A||N/A|
Labour Market Bulletins
An analysis of the local labour market and an assessment of local employment-related events.
Provincial / Territorial Labour Market News
Week of Apr 29 – May 03, 2013
- The Government of Alberta is investing $503M over three years for the construction of 22 new and replacement schools in high growth communities throughout the province. The first new schools are expected to be opened in 2016.
- Craton Construction Inc. and Dezota Construction Inc. are hiring for the Blackspring Ridge Wind Power Project in southern Alberta
- The Calgary Zoo will be spending $162M over the next 20 years on upgrades and new facilities
- Kal-Tire is moving its planned $25M tire plant from Regina to the Edmonton area
- Construction has started on Shell Place in Fort McMurray
- Brooks Asphalt and Concrete has been awarded a $2M contract for paving and construction by the Town of Stettler
- Richardson Bros. Ltd., of Olds, has been awarded a $4.6M contract for road work in Mountain View County
- The City of Grande Prairie is spending $700,000 to upgrade the Muskoseepi Park Pavilion
- Alberta Transportation is spending $8.8M for highway upgrades between Lethbridge and Coaldale over the summer
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- The Medicine River Wildlife Centre is starting construction on a new education centre and wildlife hospital; it is expected to be completed by 2014.
- BBC Contractors won the bid to construct the $1.6M Carseland Lagoon earthworks and piping modifications
- Construction will begin shortly on the new $3.7M gym for Hugh Sutherland School in Carstairs
- The Town of Cochrane will begin construction on the $1.4M first phase of Riverfront Park by fall of 2013
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- STEPS Bridgeland, a new inner city condo development in Calgary, will begin construction in the fall of 2013
- The Town of Banff is spending $960,000 to upgrade its water system
- The Ponoka Agricultural Event Centre Society has received $50,000 in funding to developing the Calnash Ag Event Centre
- Infrastructure contracts have been awarded to Al-Terra Engineering and Border Paving for work in the Town of Sylvan Lake
- South Rock Ltd. is to begin construction of the Dunmore Road overpass in Medicine Hat on April 29, 2013
- Ground breaking for the new Quad Ball Diamond Facility in Brooks occurred on April 15, 2013
- The Town of Innisfail will begin Phase 2 of its downtown revitalization project on May 6, 2013
- Brookfield Residential is launching an inner city housing development in Calgary. The project is expected to be completed in early 2014.
- The Municipal District of Willow Creek has received funding for construction of a wireless internet tower
- Two more warehouses will be completed in the Stoney Industrial Centre in northeast Calgary within the next few months
Week of Apr 08 – Apr 12, 2013
- EDF EN Canada will begin construction on a $600M wind farm in southern Alberta. The projected is expected to be complete by mid-2014 and will create 250 construction jobs.
- New Walmart warehouse coming to Balzac
- Residential development with 700 units proceeding in Sylvan Lake
- Best Canadian Motor Inns building 49-room hotel in Blairmore
- Tollestrup Construction (2005) Ltd. has been awarded a $1.3M contract for road construction and underground utilities in Lethbridge
- Platinum Communications Corp. is expanding wireless infrastructure in southern Alberta
- Construction begins on new Rotary Youth Centre in Camrose with completion planned by July 1, 2013
- Wood Buffalo municipal council approves expropriation of seven downtown properties to make room for sports and entertainment complex
- Date Modified: