Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Psychologists assess and diagnose behavioural, emotional and cognitive disorders, counsel clients, provide therapy and research and apply theory relating to behaviour and mental processes. Psychologists help clients work toward the maintenance and enhancement of physical, intellectual, emotional, social and interpersonal functioning. Psychologists work in private practice or in institutions such as clinics, correctional facilities, hospitals, mental health facilities, rehabilitation centres, community service organizations, businesses, schools and universities, and government and private research agencies.
clinical psychologist, experimental psychologist, psychological associate, psychologist, research psychologist.
- Examine and assess behaviour, diagnose behavioural, emotional and cognitive disorders, counsel clients and provide therapy
- Help clients manage physical illness and disorders
- Counsel individuals and groups to achieve more effective personal, social and vocational development and adjustment and offer mediation services
- Use standard psychological tests for assessment
- Plan intervention programs and conduct program evaluation
- Apply psychological theory and principles regarding behaviour and mental processes such as learning, memory, perception and language development
- Formulate hypotheses and experimental designs, review literature, conduct studies and publish research papers, educational texts and articles
- Deliver presentations at conferences, workshops or symposia
- Provide consultation services to government and other organizations.
Psychologists may specialize in applied psychology or experimental research. Sub-specialties include behavioural psychology, child psychology, cognitive psychology, developmental psychology, educational and school psychology, industrial psychology, neuropsychology, social psychology or sports psychology.
Outlook & Prospects for Psychologists in Red Deer Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Red Deer Region||N/A||N/A|
Local Labour Market News
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- Holiday Inn Express and Staybridge Suites are spending $25M to build two new hotels in Red Deer. Construction is expected to begin this summer and finish by 2014.
- The Medicine River Wildlife Centre is starting construction on a new education centre and wildlife hospital; it is expected to be completed by 2014.
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- The Ponoka Agricultural Event Centre Society has received $50,000 in funding to developing the Calnash Ag Event Centre
- Infrastructure contracts have been awarded to Al-Terra Engineering and Border Paving for work in the Town of Sylvan Lake
- Red Deer College is planning to reduced programs and staff as a result of a budget deficit for the upcoming school year
- The Town of Innisfail will begin Phase 2 of its downtown revitalization project on May 6, 2013
Week of Apr 08 – Apr 12, 2013
- Residential development with 700 units proceeding in Sylvan Lake
- Slumland Theatre, a downtown music venue for teens in Red Deer, is closing at the end June 2013
Week of Apr 01 – Apr 05, 2013
- Date Modified: