Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Psychologists assess and diagnose behavioural, emotional and cognitive disorders, counsel clients, provide therapy and research and apply theory relating to behaviour and mental processes. Psychologists help clients work toward the maintenance and enhancement of physical, intellectual, emotional, social and interpersonal functioning. Psychologists work in private practice or in institutions such as clinics, correctional facilities, hospitals, mental health facilities, rehabilitation centres, community service organizations, businesses, schools and universities, and government and private research agencies.
clinical psychologist, experimental psychologist, psychological associate, psychologist, research psychologist.
- Examine and assess behaviour, diagnose behavioural, emotional and cognitive disorders, counsel clients and provide therapy
- Help clients manage physical illness and disorders
- Counsel individuals and groups to achieve more effective personal, social and vocational development and adjustment and offer mediation services
- Use standard psychological tests for assessment
- Plan intervention programs and conduct program evaluation
- Apply psychological theory and principles regarding behaviour and mental processes such as learning, memory, perception and language development
- Formulate hypotheses and experimental designs, review literature, conduct studies and publish research papers, educational texts and articles
- Deliver presentations at conferences, workshops or symposia
- Provide consultation services to government and other organizations.
Psychologists may specialize in applied psychology or experimental research. Sub-specialties include behavioural psychology, child psychology, cognitive psychology, developmental psychology, educational and school psychology, industrial psychology, neuropsychology, social psychology or sports psychology.
Outlook & Prospects for Psychologists in Red Deer Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Red Deer Region||N/A||N/A|
Local Labour Market News
Week of Jun 03 – Jun 07, 2013
- Go Auto has purchased three new dealerships in Red Deer. The company is also adding a used vehicle reconditioning centre in Red Deer, and plans to hire up to 50 new employees over the next year.
Week of May 20 – May 24, 2013
- Biorefinex Canada Ltd. plans to begin construction of a $32M bio refinery in Lacombe by the fall of 2013. The plant is expected to be operational in 2014 and employ up to 30 full-time staff.
Week of May 13 – May 17, 2013
- Red Deer College has reduced its staff by 32 full-time equivalent positions due to a funding shortfall
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- Holiday Inn Express and Staybridge Suites are spending $25M to build two new hotels in Red Deer. Construction is expected to begin this summer and finish by 2014.
- The Medicine River Wildlife Centre is starting construction on a new education centre and wildlife hospital; it is expected to be completed by 2014.
- Date Modified: