Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Licensed practical nurses provide nursing care usually under the direction of medical practitioners, registered nurses or other health team members. They are employed in hospitals, nursing homes, extended care facilities, rehabilitation centres, doctors' offices, clinics, companies, private homes and community health centres. Operating room technicians are included in this unit group.
certified nursing assistant (CNA), licensed nursing assistant, licensed practical nurse (L.P.N.), operating room technician, registered nursing assistant (R.N.A.), registered practical nurse (R.P.N.).
- Provide nursing services, within defined scope of practice, to patients based on patient assessment and care planning procedures
- Perform nursing interventions such as taking vital signs, applying aseptic techniques including sterile dressing, ensuring infection control, monitoring nutritional intake and conducting specimen collection
- Administer medication and observe and document therapeutic effects
- Provide pre-operative and post-operative personal and comfort care
- Monitor established respiratory therapy and intravenous therapy
- Monitor patients' progress, evaluate effectiveness of nursing interventions and consult with appropriate members of healthcare team
- Provide safety and health education to individuals and their families.
- Prepare patients for surgery by washing, shaving and sterilizing the patients' operative areas
- Assist in surgery by laying out instruments, setting up equipment, assisting surgical teams with gowns and gloves and passing instruments to surgeons
- Clean and sterilize the operating room and instruments.
Outlook & Prospects for Licensed Practical Nurses in Red Deer Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Red Deer Region||2009-12-15|
Opportunities are readily available for full-time, casual, part-time and temporary workers. LPN's find employment in acute and community hospitals, long term care facilities, personal care homes, medical clinics, home care, doctors offices, the military and in the community in various capacities. The majority of opportunities are with personal care homes. There are employment opportunities during the summer months for vacation relief workers. Health care delivery has been moving to community based care and long term care from institutionalized care.
In most health care organizations, employers utilize large casual pools of workers to cover for regular employees during vacation times and absenteeism.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Mar 25 – Mar 29, 2013
- Bethany Care Centres cut 4 full-time staff in Red Deer and 2.5 in Sylvan Lake. The cuts will affect mainly health-care aides and licensed practical nurses.
Week of Mar 11 – Mar 15, 2013
Week of Feb 25 – Mar 01, 2013
Week of Jan 28 – Feb 01, 2013
- Health care workers at Symphony Senior Living's Aspen Ridge facility went on strike January 22nd, as contract negotiations broke down. Roughly 130 licensed practical nurses, health care aides and other specialized staff are currently off the job.
- Date Modified: