Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Chemical engineers research, design, and develop chemical processes and equipment, oversee the operation and maintenance of industrial chemical, plastics, pharmaceutical, resource, pulp, and food processing plants and perform duties related to chemical quality control, environmental protection and biochemical or biotechnical engineering. Chemical engineers are employed in a wide range of manufacturing and processing industries, consulting firms, government, research and educational institutions.
adhesives engineer, biochemical engineer, biotechnical engineer, chemical engineer, environmental, chemical process engineer, industrial hygiene engineer, industrial waste treatment engineer, liquid fuels engineer, petrochemical engineer, polymer engineer, process control engineer, chemical, project engineer, chemical, pulp and paper engineer, refinery engineer, waste treatment engineer.
- Conduct economic and technical feasibility studies in areas related to chemical, petroleum, pulp and paper, food or other processing industries
- Conduct research into the development or improvement of chemical engineering processes, reactions and materials
- Evaluate chemical process technology and equipment and determine production specifications
- Design and test chemical processing and associated plants and equipment
- Oversee the construction, modification, operation and maintenance of pilot plants, processing units or processing plants
- Establish and conduct quality control programs, operating procedures and control strategies to ensure consistency and adherence to standards for raw materials, products and waste products or emissions
- Prepare contract documents and evaluate tenders for the process aspects of industrial construction
- Supervise technicians, technologists and other engineers
- May work in an administrative capacity, for example, in the development of guidelines and specifications for the handling of dangerous chemicals, environmental protection, or standards for foods, materials and consumer goods.
Chemical engineers may specialize in the products and processes of a particular industry such as pulp and paper manufacturing, pharmaceuticals, petroleum refining, energy processing, plastics, metal extraction and refining, or adhesives and coatings production. They may also specialize in areas that are in various industries such as process control, pollution control or fermentation processes.
Outlook & Prospects for Chemical Engineers in Red Deer Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Red Deer Region||N/A||N/A|
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Nov 25 - Nov 29, 2013
- Cities Gastro Pubs in Red Deer and Sylvan Lake have recently closed their doors. No information is available on how many staff were affected by the closures.
- The Government of Alberta has opened the new $42M Central Alberta Cancer Centre in Red Deer. The new facility, adjoined to the Red Deer Regional Hospital, offers increased clinical space, additional treatment rooms and outpatient counselling services.
- Construction of a new $5.5M strip mall in Penhold has been announced, with a completion date of early next year
- Nordstrom Dental is opening a new practice in Rimbey in early 2014. The clinic will have four full-time employees on opening, with the potential for an additional six employees.
- AlbertWorks is sponsoring a career and job fair in Red Deer on September 4, 2013
- Date Modified: