Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Oil and gas well drilling workers operate drilling and service rig machinery as intermediate members of the rig crew. Oil and gas well services operators drive trucks and operate specialized hydraulic pumping systems to place cement in wells or to treat wells with chemicals, sand mixtures or gases to stimulate production. Workers in this unit group are employed by drilling and well service contractors and by petroleum producing companies.
acid truck driver, blender operator – oil field services, cementer – oil field services, chemical services operator, coiled tubing operator, derrickman/woman, formation fracturing operator, motorman/woman – oil and gas drilling, nitrogen operator, pumper operator, pumpman/woman – oil field services.
- Align and manipulate sections of pipe or drill stem from platform on rig derrick during removal and replacement of strings of pipe, or drill stem and drill bit
- Operate and maintain drilling mud systems and pumps during drilling, and mix mud chemicals and additives
- Record mud flows and volumes and take samples
- Operate and maintain drilling rig diesel motors, transmissions and other mechanical equipment
- Assist in setting up, taking down and transporting drilling and service rigs
- Supervise floorhands and labourers.
- Drive well services truck to well site
- Assemble pumping equipment and attach pumps and hoses to wellhead
- Operate hydraulic pumping systems to pump chemicals, gases, sand, cement or other material into well
- Read gauges to monitor pressure, density, rate and concentration and adjust pumping procedure as required
- May mix chemicals and cements.
Outlook & Prospects for Oil and Gas Well Drilling Workers and Services Operators in Lethbridge--Medicine Hat Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Lethbridge--Medicine Hat Region||N/A||N/A|
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of May 27 - May 31, 2013
- Shell Canada has received approval from the Energy Resources Conservation Board to construct two pipelines and a gas well battery in the Beaver Mines area
- Halliburton is closing its Medicine Hat facility on April 16, 2013. The 200 employees at the site are being offered severance packages or transfers to Halliburton¿s Regina location.
- Victory Silica Ltd. has purchased a processing plant in Seven Persons to supply fracturing sand to the drilling industry in Medicine Hat. The company will be hiring 32 operators and bulk loaders, foremen and quality control staff by April 1.
- Date Modified: