Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Supervisors in this unit group supervise and co-ordinate the activities of workers classified in the following unit groups: <i>Machinists and Machining and Tooling Inspectors</i> (7231), <i>Tool and Die Makers</i> (7232) and <i>Machining Tool Operators</i> (9511). They are employed by metal products manufacturing companies and machine shops.
foreman/woman, automotive machine shop, foreman/woman, machinists, foreman/woman, maintenance machine shop, foreman/woman, tool and die makers, supervisor, machine shop, supervisor, machinists, supervisor, metal mould and metal patternmakers, supervisor, tool and die inspectors.
- Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of workers who machine metal into parts, products, tools and dies or moulds with precise dimensions
- Establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate work activities with other departments
- Requisition materials and supplies
- Resolve work problems and recommend work measures to improve productivity
- Train or arrange for training of workers
- Recommend personnel actions such as hiring and promotions
- Ensure standards for safe working conditions are observed
- Prepare production and other reports
- May set up machines and equipment and write programs for computer numerically controlled (CNC) machine tools
- May also supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of related apprentices, helpers and labourers.
Outlook & Prospects for Supervisors, Machinists and Related Occupations in Lethbridge--Medicine Hat Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Lethbridge--Medicine Hat Region||N/A||N/A|
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Feb 24 - Feb 28, 2014
- The City of Lethbridge has approved a new pool basin and change rooms for the Henderson Lake Outdoor Swimming Pool. Construction is scheduled to start in August 2014 and be complete in 2015.
- Classic Construction is planning to begin construction in May 2014 on a skywalk connecting Chinook Village and Norwood Grande in Medicine Hat
- The Municipal District of Willow Creek has rezoned a parcel of land northwest of Nanton, allowing for the development of a proposed gravel pit operation
- A new day-procedures unit at the Chinook Regional Hospital in Lethbridge has doubled the available operating space, increased the number of recovery beds and created a separate registration area
- The Kinship Park in Coaldale is slated for improvements and additions as a result of fundraising efforts by the local Kinsmen's Club
- IKEA, the Swedish furniture maker, is set to purchase the Alberta Wind Energy Corp. facility near Pincher Creek, when it comes online in August 2014
- Sport-Chek is hiring 15 full and part-time staff at the new location in Medicine Hat, opening by April 2014. GoodLife Fitness Club will also open a co-ed fitness facility at the same site soon.
- NaturEner has amended its Wild Rose 1 wind energy project south of Walsh, reducing the number of towers but installing more powerful turbines. The company anticipates awarding a contract by February 28, 2014 with construction starting in late 2014.
- Alberta Heat and Power LLC has filed an application with the Alberta Utilities Commission to construct a natural-gas fired electrical generating plant at the JBS Food Canada facility at Brooks, pending public input and review of the application
- The Government of Alberta has announced that a new Catholic elementary school will be built in Lethbridge, but no timeline was released for the construction
- The University of Lethbridge has launched the Canadian Centre for Research in Advanced Fluorine Technologies as a research hub for scientists, students and industry
- Date Modified: